Gas in oil now what?

prinler

Cadet
When I winterized my boat I was unable to turn over motor. Coil wire. It never started and I was freezing so I said screw it. Poured antifreeze in all the water tubes used starter to move water threw... So today I opened
Boat and checked oil, was really high. I drained it and it's not water... It's thin and silver? Not milky like water.

I'm guessing it's gas in the oil? I drained it using the dip stick pump. I know there is more oil in there. If I add 20-50 wt would that counteract the thinning properties of the gas? What would you do?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gas in oil now what?

First thing is to change the oil....you can't make that soup good again.

prinler

Cadet

First thing is to change the oil....you can't make that soup good again.

Yes, i will but that doesnt answer my question :) I did an oil change and see no reminance of black/silver/any thing else other then clean oil. Just worried about my brand new engine is all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How long did you run the engine after you changed the oil ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might want to take it out and run the heck out of it just to be sure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you smell it? Did it smell like gas? If it was gas, you need a fuel pump.

Bondo

Staff member

When I winterized my boat I was unable to turn over motor. Coil wire. It never started and I was freezing so I said screw it. Poured antifreeze in all the water tubes used starter to move water threw... So today I opened
Boat and checked oil, was really high. I drained it and it's not water... It's thin and silver? Not milky like water.

I'm guessing it's gas in the oil? I drained it using the dip stick pump. I know there is more oil in there. If I add 20-50 wt would that counteract the thinning properties of the gas? What would you do?

Ayuh,.... What did the oil, 'n the oil level look like when ya sorta, but not quite winterized it,..??

Donno 'bout the Silver part,..??... How old is this new motor,..?? History,..??

For that matter,... What motor are We talkin' 'bout, Anyways,..??

prinler

Cadet

About a 2 year old
Motor maybe? I think it was new, but can't remember. Still breaking it in. A 3.8 converted to a 4.3. It was high on the dip stick, when I sucked it out I got a gallon and a 1/4 of fluids. It was mixing really
Good not like water and oil. Just really soupy oil.

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What type of fuel pump, is this thing carb or efi? If it had a carb is it an electric or mechanical pump? The only way fuel can get in the oil on a carb engine is down through the carb, through the intake and then around the valves. Evev then if the float is stuck it will only be a small amount. And even then the rings must be worn for it to seep past them. Hardly possible on a "new motor" unless it wasnt broken in right and the rings didnt seat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

What type of fuel pump, is this thing carb or efi? If it had a carb is it an electric or mechanical pump? The only way fuel can get in the oil on a carb engine is down through the carb, through the intake and then around the valves. Evev then if the float is stuck it will only be a small amount. And even then the rings must be worn for it to seep past them. Hardly possible on a "new motor" unless it wasnt broken in right and the rings didnt seat.

your answer is incorrect. If the mechanical fuel pump fails, it will usually fill the block from the area where the fuel pump is bolted to the block. this is a very common method of fuel pump failure.