alpha 1 inspection

a1999ponyboy

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone have a detailed list or video on inspecting and servicing an alpha 1. just info on what to look for and what should be relaced.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: alpha 1 inspection

i got me a mc-1. pre alpha1 if ya wanna call it that.
inspections i do are.
yearly impeller inspection/replacement. i've been replacing mine ea. year for the last 6 or so years. i fig. it's cheap insurance that at least my sea water pump is pumping. i inspect my impeller housing while i'm there too.
i pull my drive so i can lub my coupler splines and inspect them.
i grease up my ujoints.
i pressure test my drive prior to dis assembly and after re assembly. if it leaks. ya gotta find out why.
i pull my prop and inspect for fishing line wrapped around my prop shaft a couple times a year. + grease the prop shaft.
i inspect my gimble brg. while the drive is off. also greasing it and spinning it by hand during while lubing it.
i inspect my drive shaft bellows and shift cable bellows.
i inspect my water hose that goes from the drive to the boat for no kinks or rubber breakdown.
i inspect my gear lub for metal shavings and water intrusion every time i remove the gear lub.

i suppose there's more, but that's best i remember at this point.

tylermcclintock

Seaman Apprentice
Re: alpha 1 inspection

ziggy has pretty much covered it all. I would add while you have drive off its always good to check engine alignment. If alignment is off it will shorten life of engine coupler and/or gimbal bearing. Also anytime i pull my drive i always replaces all the seals and gaskets. just a few bucks for a gasket kit. And if you need to replace trim limit/sender, do it while the drive is already off.

best of luck