Replacing a transom in a 1992 Skeeter

revsay

Cadet
Good morning to all viewers,

I am replacing the transom in my 92 skeeter and I would like to replace the lower portion, below the transom at the keel with a solid fiberglass pour. The area is just above the keel and has five equipment ports, 4 for live wells, pumps and drains and the main drain for the boat. Per Peter's principle one or another of the five is going to develop a leak. The old plywood used was just like paper when I removed that section. So my plan is to thicken polyester and pour the 9" X 6" area with it.

Now my question I have built up a plywood mold to contain the fiberglass pour. What material can I spray, paint or cover, the plywood mold with to prevent the fiberglass from sticking?

Thank you for your help.

Rev

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing a transom in a 1992 Skeeter

Good morning to all viewers,

I am replacing the transom in my 92 skeeter and I would like to replace the lower portion, below the transom at the keel with a solid fiberglass pour. The area is just above the keel and has five equipment ports, 4 for live wells, pumps and drains and the main drain for the boat. Per Peter's principle one or another of the five is going to develop a leak. The old plywood used was just like paper when I removed that section. So my plan is to thicken polyester and pour the 9" X 6" area with it.

Now my question I have built up a plywood mold to contain the fiberglass pour. What material can I spray, paint or cover, the plywood mold with to prevent the fiberglass from sticking?

Thank you for your help.

Rev

Ayuh,..... Wax paper, or suran-wrap....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How thick is this gunna be. You know Poly heats up and if its to thick can melt stuff.:redface:

rickryder

Commander

Nita bond would do nicely in this application.... If your a company in composites related manufacturing business or know someone that is....they will send you a free sample gallon...That should be enough for what you want to do....here is the link http://www.nida-core.com/spanish/promotions_nidabond.htm

Good Luck!