To all the small aluminum boat owners.....Opinions on repainting a 14' V hull?

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning again everyone,

I would like to sand down the old paint (is not chipping) and repaint my 14' aluminum v hull. Looking for your opinions and ideas on how to do this. What steps should be taken and what products?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Happy boating/fishing

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: To all the small aluminum boat owners.....Opinions on repainting a 14' V hull?

Rustoleum is your friend or valspar enamel from tractor supply......

220 grit to scuff the current paint then roll and tip method is the easiest.

Any bare spots need to be primed with a zinc chromate primer (Moeller Zinc Chromate Green or VHT zinc chromate yellow will work perfectly)

I will move this to the restoration section.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: To all the small aluminum boat owners.....Opinions on repainting a 14' V hull?

In addition to the suggested etching primer for any bare aluminum spots, definitely prime the whole thing with whatever same-brand-as-your-chosen-top-coat primer is available. I was told that thoroughly scuffing up the existing good condition paint job on my boat was enough for the top coat to adhere to. FAIL. My paint is falling off in sheets.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I second that. I used the same brand/type of paint as ezmobee, but did put a coat of the same brand primer all over, including over the ZC primed spots, and the remaining old paint (sanded). So far I have a couple small scratches in the paint job, but what I see underneath is the white primer, which seems to be pretty tough.

I should qualify though that the boat has not seen a lot of use yet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Paint Your Boat link at the bottom of my signature has some good info on painting your boat.