Please help 1978 25 hp evinrude

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again trying to drop the lower unit on a 1978 25 hp Evinrude outboard to replace the water pump i can get the lower unit down about 7 inches then it won't move any more any thoughts

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help 1978 25 hp evinrude

Seven (7) inches?? Is the skeg hitting the floor? There would be nothing attached at that distance.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

ok maybe 5 inches the skag is not hitting the floor its just hanging there very frustrated please help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'm at a loss to explain that. Anything over approximately one (1) inch on a 1978 25hp.... nothing would be connected. The water tuibe is out of the water pump, the shift connected is disconnected, obviously all bolts are removed.

The only thing I can think of is possible the drive shaft is frozen in the crankshaft splines (rust), and the water pump pin has pulled thru the impeller housing BUT the lower portion of the driveshaft may be too large to travel thru the water pump impeller. If this might be the case, remove the water pump retaining screws. Your problem is a first for me.... and I've been around a few years.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

When i took the screw outs they came out with very little effort linkage was little effort she dropped down 5 inches without any work but when i push it up then pull down it sounds like its hitting something does this help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, not really BUT..... if the driveshaft does not move the same distance as the lower unit when you move the lower unit up and down, I would suspect the frozen driveshaft scenario I described above. Remove the water pump retaining screws.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'll look for your comment in the morning... going to close this machine down for the night.

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

hi again just found out this outboard is a 1985 not a 1978 mmmmmmmm anger i did unscrew the water pump bolts only some of the stuff drpoed but the linkage is still connect any thought thanks for the input

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Disregard the answer to the PM I sent as that pertained to a 1978 model. The following pertains to a 1985 model.

Remove the water intake screen from the lower unit. Disconnect the shift linkage you'll now see.

After separating that linkage, you'll see a plastic funnel like shaped retainer that keeps the top threaded connector nut on the rod. Make a note as to which way the tapered shape faces, then remove it and the retaining nut.