1973 1500 Lower Unit Questions

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone around here that might have replaced or done any work on the water pump? I have a few questions about the reassembly. I have the manual but not 100% clear about this.

Thanks.

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 1500 Lower Unit Questions

what do you need to know?

The manual says something about shimming the water pump base, depending on which driveshaft is used. Mine had no pre-load pin on it and is not an "alpha" drive... (I think)

I thought maybe I would just replace all the gaskets and seals, then install impeller and put it back together. First time doing this.

Moody Blue

Captain

Shims are located UNDER the waterpump base. If you have not changed the base then the shims that are there already are fine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Alpha drives are for Mercruisers. The gearcases were changed to different designs over the years. Hopefully you have the exact manual for that gearcase.

Sounds like you have a water leak. If you haven't taken it apart yet, I think it worth a try to replace the driveshaft seals and the vent and fill plug seals and retest it. I have found most leaks were from those areas. Obviously you need to clean up the driveshaft so you do not tear the new seal.

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice

Alpha drives are for Mercruisers. The gearcases were changed to different designs over the years. Hopefully you have the exact manual for that gearcase.

Sounds like you have a water leak. If you haven't taken it apart yet, I think it worth a try to replace the driveshaft seals and the vent and fill plug seals and retest it. I have found most leaks were from those areas. Obviously you need to clean up the driveshaft so you do not tear the new seal.

When I drained I did not see any signs of water in the fluid. Just changing the impeller, which didnt look that bad, I have the manual and I was confused about the assembly. Talks about shimming, which I have that part figured out (from Moody Blue) under the water pump base and checking with feeler gage.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you are just rebuilding the waterpump, there is no need to shim the pump.

Just be aware that Merc changed the orientation of the driveshaft bearings, in different year gearcases, and therefore not all gearcases are shimmed the same.

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice

If you are just rebuilding the waterpump, there is no need to shim the pump.

Just be aware that Merc changed the orientation of the driveshaft bearings, in different year gearcases, and therefore not all gearcases are shimmed the same.

When you say rebuilding, you mean using the same parts, correct? If I replace the watepump parts would I then need to resim and measure the gap?

JWH0420

Seaman Apprentice

if you can see bearing on input shaft u have removed the base plate in which case u will need to check shims... if u have not removed the lower plate than ignore the shim part of things

Moody Blue

Captain

When you say rebuilding, you mean using the same parts, correct? If I replace the watepump parts would I then need to resim and measure the gap?

You can replace any part of the water pump, except the base, without worrying about having to adjust the shims. The water pump consists of three main parts, the upper housing which contains the impeller and S/S cup insert, the impeller itself, and the base which contains the seals which seal the lower unit.

In a typical "rebuild" you would replace the upper housing with S/S cup insert, impeller, S/S wear plate and all the gaskets. Only if you are getting water into the lower unit oil would you need to remove the water pump base and check the seals.

If you remove the water pump base to replace the seals and then reinstall the SAME base, then you do not need to check shimming. Only if you REPLACE the base will you need to verify and/or adjust the shimming.

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice

if you can see bearing on input shaft u have removed the base plate in which case u will need to check shims... if u have not removed the lower plate than ignore the shim part of things

Ok I have this part on order from iBoats Part # 18-3517 Water Pump Kit without Base - Sierra

Anything else I might need?

delta07d

Seaman Apprentice

You can replace any part of the water pump, except the base, without worrying about having to adjust the shims. The water pump consists of three main parts, the upper housing which contains the impeller and S/S cup insert, the impeller itself, and the base which contains the seals which seal the lower unit.

In a typical "rebuild" you would replace the upper housing with S/S cup insert, impeller, S/S wear plate and all the gaskets. Only if you are getting water into the lower unit oil would you need to remove the water pump base and check the seals.

If you remove the water pump base to replace the seals and then reinstall the SAME base, then you do not need to check shimming. Only if you REPLACE the base will you need to verify and/or adjust the shimming.

Ok thanks! That helps, guess I will have a go at this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If there are shims under the waterpump, you can replace the pump base, and just reuse the shims, I would think.

Rebuilding the waterpump meams using new parts that normally wear (Gaskets, wearplate and impeller), and inspecting and replacing parts that normally don't wear, if they show signs of melting,or scoring.