LED Taillight converters?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I needed a new converter for my truck the store I went to had the Hopkins converter for incandescent and LED lights on sale for $2 more then the regular converter. I went ahead and bought it as some day I may put LED lights on 1 of the 3 trailer I tow with this truck. My question is... Do you real need a LED converter to operate LED taillights?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: LED Taillight converters?

Not that I ever heard of, the truck doesn't care what is at the terminus of the electrical connections ... ;)

Pony

Rear Admiral

I needed a new converter for my truck the store I went to had the Hopkins converter for incandescent and LED lights on sale for $2 more then the regular converter. I went ahead and bought it as some day I may put LED lights on 1 of the 3 trailer I tow with this truck. My question is... Do you real need a LED converter to operate LED taillights?

Did the LED one just have a set of LED test lights on it? Thats typically what a trailer light converter with LED would mean.....since you don't need to convert ANYTHING to power LED vs Non LED lights.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No it doesn't have the indicator lights that show it's working properly. It's the Hopkins number 48895 and made to operate LED taillights.

Roadrager50

Seaman

No you don't need a special converter. The incandescent ones use a minimum 7 volts to work and the led use a minimum 3 volts to work. Basically the only thing that is special are the plugs for the lights. Just wire the connections into your wiring loom and plug the lights in and you are good to go. The good thing about led lights are most of them are watertight. I use them on my bigrig and trailers all the time. I like the way they look.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking at hopkin's web site I think it's for use on vehicles with LED taillights. They don't make it very clear.

I called Hopkins the LED converter has better electronics and will work in vehicles and trailers regardless of which lights you have and the standard converter will also work with LED lights.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put LED's on the trailer all around. Didn't need a converter, just unplug the old lights and plug in the new LED's. Very easy to do. The only lights I haven't replaced is the I.D. Bar on the back.

UncleWillie

Captain

It is likely a marketing gimmic for the unsophisticated consumer.
Next year we will have "HD Laser LED Tailights" that are a purer red than the regular LED taillights. :facepalm:
You will need a pair of those "HD Sun Glasses" to tell the difference though. :cool:

oldjeep

Admiral

The only thing that you sometimes have to change with LED lights is the turn signal flasher - but that is only if you are putting the LEDs on the vehicle since they don't always pull enough load to get the flasher to flash properly.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Next year we will have "HD Laser LED Tailights" that are a purer red than the regular LED taillights. :facepalm:
You will need a pair of those "HD Sun Glasses" to tell the difference though. :cool:
I didn't buy it at walmart but it's the only one they carry now the standard one maybe on it's way out.

Thalasso

Commander

Ok i'll bite. Is this B.S