77 johnson wont run while in the water

cparker072

Seaman
The motor runs perfect when the muffs are on it but when I put it in the water it runs for a minute then bogs out cant figure out what the problem is. PLEASE HELP!!!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 johnson wont run while in the water

Check to see if the engine is running on all 4 cyls. That engine will seem to run fine on 2,3 cyls when idling on the trailer on the garden hose. It's another thing when the exhaust is buried 2 feet underwater-you need all 4 cyls running to keep it going. An inductive timing light will show you what is going on with the spark on each cyl. Or, you can use some insulated pliers to pull the spark plug wires off the plugs one at a time. You should see an rpm drop when you pull each plugwire off...if you don't the plug is not firing.

cparker072

Seaman

now its not firing up at all would fouled plugs be the problem?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Probably not. When you crank the engine, do you have any spark at any plug?

cparker072

Seaman

just started running fine then submerged it in a trash can and it conked out when the thermostat kicked on im getting spark rpms dropped when i took the wires off the plugs.

nwcove

Admiral

whats the history on the motor.....is it new to you? have you done a compression test?

cparker072

Seaman

had it for about a month now worked perfect the first 2 weeks I had it!

cparker072

Seaman

just messed with it a little more and it will run in the trash can of water if I feather the choke off and on

nwcove

Admiral

have you read the "top secret file" at the beginning of this forum? if you have good spark, and good compression, you are "probably" looking at a carb overhaul. also, is your tank vented properly, have you inspected all the fuel lines for cracks, leaks, missing clamps?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gonna need more info mate.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you run this outboard on the new unvented tank for those 2 weeks it ran great?

If the tank isn't the problem, it sounds like a dirty carb to me...

cparker072

Seaman

yeah ill take the carb apart hopefully that will do it! I got flounders to kill!!!

cparker072

Seaman

alright soaked the carb can blow through the jets everything is clean now its runs in the water but now I have to keep forcing fuel into it with the ball now what? fuel pump? now im starting to think it might be the tank

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have to keep pumping the primer bulb it is a good indication that you have a fuel pump problem. Have you tried to check the fuel pump pressure and flow?

cparker072

Seaman

no she got dark on me and had to stick the boat back in the garage how would I go about getting a fuel pump for a 77 johnson?