Which to do first?

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have my boat at my house and getting ready to tear it down. I made the engine lift but my father cant be here until Saturday to help me take it out.

Saturday is too many days away for me to not be doing anything. how far can I tear things down before the motor comes out?

Can I cut up the flooring before the motor gets yanked? What about the cap? Can that come off? Pleas let me know, thanks!

My homeade engine lift. Think it will hold an inline 6?
DSCN0332.jpg

Ready to get torn apart. I just got back form home depot with the respirators
432.jpg434.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Which to do first?

That lift should be more sufficient for pulling that inline 6. You can tear your floor out and pull the cap before you pull the motor. With most IO's though, it is not neceassary to pull the cap for transom repair, but that's not always the case.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"That lift should be more sufficient for pulling that inline 6." You mean I should reinforce it a bit more?

Awesome. I just got a new angle grinder and im excited to go cut something.

I want to do a complete restoration. There are a lot of these on the cap. Botched fix jobs and stress cracks everywhere. It would just be easier for me if the cap is off.

765.jpg766.jpg

So it's ok to rip out the flooring and take the cap off before the motor gets pulled, correct? Just want to make sure.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It looks like it would be easier to remove the engine without the cap and deck to me, I'd rip the daylights out of her!

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks! I'm going to the doctors tomorrow so I have a free day until 2:30 to rip her apart.

The cap is riveted on but is hidden by an aluminum and rubber bump guard. I'm not quite sure what you call it. all I have to do is rip it off and drill out the millions of rivets.

Not sure what you call this thing. New to boat terminology.
bumpguard.jpg

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was only asking cuz it might be hard to find somthing to staple it back on looks like it has to come off anyways so have at er and have some fun with it take lots of pics

rickryder

Commander

I have my boat at my house and getting ready to tear it down. I made the engine lift but my father cant be here until Saturday to help me take it out.

Saturday is too many days away for me to not be doing anything. how far can I tear things down before the motor comes out?

Can I cut up the flooring before the motor gets yanked? What about the cap? Can that come off? Pleas let me know, thanks!

My homeade engine lift. Think it will hold an inline 6?
View attachment 143109

Ready to get torn apart. I just got back form home depot with the respirators
View attachment 143110View attachment 143111

Welcome to the Dry Dock finx.

Since your ready to tear into your boat....get yourself all the safety equipment...I see you bought a respirator....full face? organic vapor cartrage style?
A tyvek suit goggles and gloves are a must when grinding ;) Fiberglass dust is real bad in the lungs....so are the fumes from resin mekp and acetone....

Covering up with baby powder will help keep the dust out of your pores ;)

I see your on a bunk trailer....do your bunks support the hull well? If not you will need to add some bracing along the outer chines...

Take a lot of measurements from gunwale to gunwale and record them before pulling your cap....

After the cap is off....recheck the measurements to be sure the hull did not spread or flex out of shape...if you glass it back together and it bowed...the cap will not go back on...

To pull the cap,remove the rubber insert in the rub rail and then drill out the rivets or remove the screws....which ever it has....There is most likely sealer between the hull and cap that you may need to use a spackle knife to break it free...

Good Luck on your project!

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks ricky, There is a lot of information spread across this forum. i've been reading some nights until 3-4am.

Here is the breather and suit I picked uip from home depot earlier. It's not a tyvek brand but its similar. Will this work? Also, home depot has these 16 gallon 5hp wet/dry vac for $49.00!! couldn't pass that up.
DSCN0338.jpgDSCN0340.jpg

My trailer is on rollers. not bunks. does that mean it has less support? I was planning on a restoration of the trailer and converting it to bunks.

DSCN0306.jpgDSCN0308.jpg

Here is my logic:

1. cut out floors
2. Remove cap
3. take out motor
4. Set hull on cradle
5. Remove stringers
6. replace stringers

I know that there is a lot of other smaller steps in between but for the jist of it, would that order be ok?

rickryder

Commander

I would move #4 to #1

once you remove the cap the hull will flex around....better to have it resting where it's gonna be....IMHO

The equipment will be fine....I used the same stuff in my resto....just be sure when you can smell glass it's time to change the cartridges ;)

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good score on the vac the suit should do just fine the mask is kind of hard to read but sould be fine as long as it has organic vapor cartrage like rick says they look somthing like this http://www.zefon.com/store/3m-half-face-respirators.html i dont see any rubber gloves they are a must the glass gets in between your fingers and itches like mad

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh, i see. Heres the problem. In order to get the motor out, the boat has to be on the trailer.

We raise the motor with my awesome wooden lift, pull the boat out from under it and then lower the motor onto a cart which i wheel off to the garage.

I understand the reasoning for having it on a cradle and I agree with you but if it flexes a little bit as long as I have my measurements i will still be okay, right?

when you say it could flex on the trailer you don't mean a catastrophic flex where the hull gets some damage, do you?

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good score on the vac the suit should do just fine the mask is kind of hard to read but sould be fine as long as it has organic vapor cartrage like rick says they look somthing like this http://www.zefon.com/store/3m-half-face-respirators.html i dont see any rubber gloves they are a must the glass gets in between your fingers and itches like mad

this is the one i got

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100072189&R=100072189

I hope I can smell the fiberglass when it gets bad. I had a firecracker accident when I was a kid that left my olfactory sense a bit numb.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it will bow out and change shape and the deck may not go back on pull the motor then put the boat in a cradle then do the floor and deck

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, i guess you're right. Just that pulling the motor would just have been easier if the cap was off. :(

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rickryder

Commander

Slim your confusing the deck....better known as the sole (boats don't have floors) with the cap ;)

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Slim your confusing the deck....better known as the sole (boats don't have floors) with the cap ;)

call it what you will where i work the top part of the boat is called a deck could be cap if thats what you want to call it was not talking about the floor