Merc 110 Lower Unit Rebuild ?

sswitzer916

Recruit
hey all, im kinda jammed up with this rebuild.

i have to entire lower end disassembled. Im attempting to seat the forward gear and attached ball bearing back into the housing, but it just wont slide in.

im confused by this because all it took to get it out was a little tap on the housing.

anyone have any tips for me?

ive tried pounding it with a rubber mallet and am about to try pressing it with a giant clamp. is this the right direction or am i just missing something?

thanks for you time guys!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc 110 Lower Unit Rebuild ?

Put the bearing and gear assy in the freezer overnight and just before taking it out of the freezer, warm up the bearing bore with a hand held propane torch, remove the gear assy from the freezer and line it up as best you can and drop it into the bore.

Gerry

sswitzer916

Recruit

Put the bearing and gear assy in the freezer overnight and just before taking it out of the freezer, warm up the bearing bore with a hand held propane torch, remove the gear assy from the freezer and line it up as best you can and drop it into the bore.

Gerry

awsome thank you, i actually just got done talkin about that with my roommate, but i feel better about it if someone else thinks so too. crossing my fingers

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats awesome! Put it in the Freezer! Im a shade tree mechanic, nothing special.

sswitzer916

Recruit

bam, finally got that sucker in there! seems like the freeze and heat thing did the trick.... along with a lot of patience lol.

thanks for the advice!