Info on new Yamaha motor...

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Duckworth boat with a 115/80 Yamaha Jet motor on it. More specifically, it is a model 115ETLF-JD, which I've determined is a 1989 2 stroke motor. I've taken it out and it runs beautifully! I'm very excited, but now I'm trying to prep myself for future maintenance. I'd like to get a good service manual, but I'm not sure which would be good? Should I stick to the Yamaha factory service manual (anyone know a good source besides EBAY?) Being that this motor is an oil injection motor, could someone tell me if there is a specific 2 stroke oil that I should be using? Any other advice or gotchas I should be aware of with this particular generation of motor? I've never owned a Yamaha (only Johnson, Evinrudes, and Mercury in the past).

Ken

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Info on new Yamaha motor...

Your engine is not direct injection, it is carburated.

The official shop manual will give you the maintenance schedule and where to locate the servicable parts.

Yamahas are pretty bullet proof. Keep the fuel and oil clean. Use a good quality oil and flush it everytime it is even near salt water and it should have a long life.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Info on new Yamaha motor...

Thanks multimech... What I meant to say was oil injection (or mixing of the oil), not fuel injection. I guess I didn't proofread before I posted! Is there a specific brand of 2 stroke oil that I should use in the big reservoir (in my center console) that pumps the oil to the smaller reservoir (attached to the motor)?

Thanks,
Ken