Floor and stringer replacment

stonemason66

Cadet
I had a soft spot and like i was told i ended up tearing everything up to the stringers. thats a boat load of work!!! took out all the foam and all. Stringers were only bad in two places so i sanded it down reisned them up,stuck a resined up 2x4 to it and screwed them togeather and fiberglassed them in. putting in new floor now. I used regular 1/2" plywood. I have covered every peace of wood front,back and side.sSo how have i done so far? I am fixin to start fiberglassing in the edges of the floor. This is a 1990 19' bayliner. It is setting on the trailer. Will it be ok to glass in the floor on the trailer or should i support the sides? thks.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor and stringer replacment

welcome to iboats
Looks like your just pluggin away good for you sir,

as long as your cap is on you should be ok to do the deck with the boat on the trailer

tpenfield

Staff member

a bunk trailer would be ok as long as it was supported well . . . a roler trailer, not so much.

post some pics when you can . . .

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would not glass the stringer and floor down when it is siting on the trailer the boat might be out of shape because you have takein out everything that holds its shape and when you glass it (out of shape ) it will hold that shape also putting new stringers in would be alot better then trying to fix the old ones make sure you resin coat all the wood you put in befor you glass over it. how are you going to foam it ?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

now i am not trying to hijack in no means... but when people say "roller Trailer" what exactly do they mean.. because i have a trailer that has roller bunks... not the roller arm things that are like a "C" shape but they are like 2x4 by 4 feet in length and they have small rollers on them.. are those ok to be used to support?

stonemason66

Cadet

Yep cap is on. gonna redo my wiring. Know any place i can get a diagram? thanks for the info!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

i could possibly help you with that... My engine has a AQ130D which is similar to your model... i turned this:
099_wireharnessbefore.jpg

into this:
100_wireharnessafter.jpg

and got it all running i have video that shows that:

PM me if you want me to help run you through your wiring

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

now i am not trying to hijack in no means... but when people say "roller Trailer" what exactly do they mean.. because i have a trailer that has roller bunks... not the roller arm things that are like a "C" shape but they are like 2x4 by 4 feet in length and they have small rollers on them.. are those ok to be used to support?
the boat should not be on the trailer when redoing the stringers and floor it might look all good with the boat siting on it but there mught be a roller/ bunk pushing up on the boat you do not see once you put glass over it and it has cured that bump is there for life

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

also please note in that video all of the gauges were malfunction.. not to incorrect wiring but the age, so i have new ones sitting waiting to make an appearence... still in the box :(
029_newgaugescameinmail.jpg

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

you know what! dam a.d.d... i am reading different threads and i for some reason i though ur boat had an AQ125c in it or something... what is the model of your engine. ^ scratch my comments from above lol

stonemason66

Cadet

So how do i know if its in the right shape and how do i support it? The stringers look good and flat hope so anyway becouse they are glassed in already.

stonemason66

Cadet

the boat should not be on the trailer when redoing the stringers and floor it might look all good with the boat siting on it but there mught be a roller/ bunk pushing up on the boat you do not see once you put glass over it and it has cured that bump is there for life

I do have a jack at the back of the boat under the lower unit where it is bolted to the trans. i took about half the pressure off when i did the stringers.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you can take the boat off the trailer and set in on the floor or drive way put somthing under it like cardboard so it does not get all scratched up make sure you make the boat level use somthing to hold it up so its not laying on its side all your trying to do is make sure there is nothing puching on the sides of the boat putting dents in it or twisting it because like i said once theres a dent or a twist and its glassed over its there to stay

stonemason66

Cadet

if you can take the boat off the trailer and set in on the floor or drive way put somthing under it like cardboard so it does not get all scratched up make sure you make the boat level use somthing to hold it up so its not laying on its side all your trying to do is make sure there is nothing puching on the sides of the boat putting dents in it or twisting it because like i said once theres a dent or a twist and its glassed over its there to stay

thanks for the advice need all i can get!

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am doing the same thing as you are right now its not all that fun. also make sure you resin coat any and all the wood it will make it last longer what are you going to do about foam?

stonemason66

Cadet

I used board foam cut it to fit. IM a mason so i have plenty of board foam. bayliner did a crappy job! they put foam in aginst raw wood with no resin on it. And many other places! I put resin on everything compleatly covered. Yes i used alot and it was expensive. Bet i used 40 brushes and im not done yet.

slim6969

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya its not cheap get your hands on some acetone when your done useing the brush wash it out in the acetone and let it sit in there untill you want to use it again will save some brushes. my boat was the same way i found 6 paint cans in the foam