1985 Larson

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am a first-time boat buyer and looking for a family boat. It will be used on the Erie Canal, Niagara River, and close to shore on Lake Ontario.

I am looking for an inexpensive boat to see how much we would actually use the boat. If we like it, I may upgrade to a better boat in the future.

There is a 19ft Larson open bow I/O boat advertised locally for $1000 or best offer. It says that the motor needs work. I sent an Email and the seller says the owner has health problems and won't be boating any more. The engine and outdrive are Merc. The boat was stored in a garage most of the time. They don't know which model it is, but in searching the net it appears to likely be a Citation.

I have rebuilt car engines, so motor work doesn't bother me. I don't want to do structural repairs (stringer, transom, etc) but upholstery replacement or small interior repairs are OK.

If I see that the structure of the boat is in reasonable shape, should I consider this boat?

Anyone know what the max capacity of the boat would be (people and weight)?

I think I am going to see the boat in the next few days to see how good (or bad) it is.

Thanks for the help
Steve

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Larson

The price tag is definitely a warning sign. I would check it very very carefully for rot.

Speaking from experience, my dad has a 1986 Larson Senza cuddy cabin which has now been cut open twice for structural work. He's just finishing the second round now (full transom and rear stringer job) and told me that there was rot at every single point a factory screw went into the deck. It's a fine brand but those model years are definitely ones you want to look closely at.

1st_Timer_MD

Recruit

I have a 86 citation that I picked up last summer. Engine is a Mercruiser 140. Hull plate says 8 persons max or ( I believe ) 1500lbs. I can attach a pic of mine if that will help you id your potential boat.

James

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look closely at the floor and transom. If it has soft spots, pass on it. As for the motor, it is probably pooched, either a cracked block or manifold from improper winterization. If the hull is in good shape and the drive is in good shape (pull the drain plug and see what comes out, clean oil or milky stuff with chunks) then go for it. Remember though, Lake O gets REAL NASTY when there is a decent wind blowing.

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I checked out the boat in person today. The floor was solid. I also checked inside the compartment under the floor and under the bow seats and all was very solid. All of the other boats I had looked at in this price range had soft floors and in one I could pull chunks of rotted wood out from stringers. The transom seems solid, there were no obvious soft spots. The outdrive looked in very good shape and the paint on it was great. Again, unlike the other boats I had looked at where the outdrive looked visually in poor shape with much of the paint corroded off. I stood on the outdrive and jumped up and down and there was no transom flex. The boat looked like a newer boat than its 27-year age.

The owner had a brain hemmorhage two years ago and is unable to go boating anymore. He said the boat was always stored in a garage when not in use, I think he was the original owner. He also said the engine needs some repair, but can't remember what was wrong. There was a friend who is handling selling the boat for him.

The upholstery was in reasonable shape, and could be used as is this summer and then reupholstered during the winter off-season .

Based on these observations, I bought the boat for $850. They also threw in a few extra props and a pair of trolling motors and the trailer.

I don't mind doing engine/ outdrive work as I have rebuilt car engines before, but I wanted a soild boat that didn't need immediate structural repairs. I think this boat is very solid structurally, but I'll find out when I get it and check it over more thoroughly. It's not a huge investment so if a surprise pops up it still may be a good deal.

The engine is a Mercruiser 120 2.5L 4 cyl. Is this the same engine that GM used in the cars that was known as the "iron duke"? Or is it a different engine? I have read different stories about it on the internet.

Thanks
Steve

Bondo

Staff member

The engine is a Mercruiser 120 2.5L 4 cyl. Is this the same engine that GM used in the cars that was known as the "iron duke"? Or is it a different engine?

Nope,.... Not the Iron Duke, but another GM 4 cylinder,... A Good solid little runner...

The Iron Duke is a 151cid Pontiac based GM corporate motor,...

The 2.5l Marine motor is an old 153cid Chevy design....

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$850 for a "solid" boat, trailer, props, and with an engine that may only have something wrong with it that he can't remember? That could be anything to a bad impeller to a failed valve, but hey, I'd have taken the risk as well. Check the compression and go from there - you may have lucked out