How banks work

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Q: What are banks for?
A: To make money.

Q: For the customers?
A: For the banks.

Q: Why doesn't bank advertising mention this?
A: It would not be in good taste. But it is mentioned by implication in references to reserves of $249,000,000,000 or thereabouts. That is the money they have made.

Q: Out of the customers?
A: I suppose so.

Q: They also mention Assets of $500,000,000,000 or thereabouts. Have they made that too?
A: Not exactly. That is the money they use to make money.

Q: I see. And they keep it in a safe somewhere?
A: Not at all. They lend it to customers.

Q: Then they haven't got it?
A: No.

Q: Then how is it Assets?
A: They maintain that it would be if they got it back.

Q: But they must have some money in a safe somewhere?
A: Yes, usually $500,000,000,000 or thereabouts. This is called Liabilities.

Q: But if they've got it, how can they be liable for it?
A: Because it isn't theirs.

Q: Then why do they have it?
A: It has been lent to them by customers.

Q: You mean customers lend banks money?
A: In effect. They put money into their accounts, so it is really lent to the banks.

Q: And what do the banks do with it?
A: Lend it to other customers.

Q: But you said that money they lent to other people was Assets?
A: Yes.

Q: Then Assets and Liabilities must be the same thing?
A: You can't really say that.

Q: But you've just said it! If I put $100 into my account the bank is liable to have to pay it back, so it's Liabilities. But they go and lend it to someone else and he is liable to have to pay it back, so it's Assets. It's the same $100 isn't it?
A: Yes, but....

Q: Then it cancels out. It means, doesn't it, that banks haven't really any money at all?
A: Theoretically....

Q: Never mind theoretically! And if they haven't any money, where do they get their Reserves of $249,000,000,000 or thereabouts??
A: I told you. That is the money they have made.

Q: How?
A: Well, when they lend your $100 to someone they charge him interest.

Q: How much?
A: It depends on the Bank Rate. Say five-and-a-half percent. That's their profit.

Q: Why isn't it my profit? Isn't it my money?
A: It's the theory of banking practice that....

Q: When I lend them my $100 why don't I charge them interest?
A: You do.

Q: You don't say. How much?
A: It depends on the Bank Rate. Say a half percent.

Q: Grasping of me, rather?
A: But that's only if you're not going to draw the money out again.

Q: But of course I'm going to draw the money out again! If I hadn't wanted to draw it out again I could have buried it in the garden!
A: They wouldn't like you to draw it out again.

Q: Why not? If I keep it there you say it's a Liability. Wouldn't they be glad if I reduced their Liabilities by removing it?
A: No. Because if you remove it they can't lend it to anyone else.

Q: But if I wanted to remove it they'd have to let me?
A: Certainly.

Q: But suppose they've already lent it to another customer?
A: Then they'll let you have some other customer's money.

Q: But suppose he wants his too... and they've already let me have it?
A: You're being purposely obtuse.

Q: I think I'm being acute. What if everyone wanted their money all at once?
A: It's the theory of banking practice that they never would.

Q: So what banks bank on, is not having to meet their commitments?
A. YOU GOT IT!

JRJ

Commander
Re: How banks work.

Wife was at the bank today. They told her if she added $200K to an account, they would give her $500. Yeah, we'll be all over that one :D

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Ain't that complicated where I am. Nobody has any money to put in the bank and the banks ain't makin any loans. It's banking "simplified":cool:

Philster

Captain

Do banks force you to use their services? No.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ain't that complicated where I am. Nobody has any money to put in the bank and the banks ain't makin any loans. It's banking "simplified":cool:

Ditto...
One of the reasons I like my credit union better than my bank.

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, I worked in banking for years and you don't wanna know what goes on there. Talk about the inmates running the asylum! One of the craziest thing I learned while there is that a bank's "worth" is actually measured by how much debt/"leverage" they carry (i.e. how many outstanding loans they have), rather than how much money/assets they have access to. Imagine if we all got to measure our "net worth" by using our "net debt". Not to mention the fact, that the big boys like Citibank, BofA, etc... were leveraged at about 40-50:1 when the economy tanked. So for every real dollar they had in the vault they lent 40-50! I can't imagine how it could've gone wrong (facepalm). Not to mention the fees for using your own money (?) still trying to figure that one out. Credit Union and/or a local bank is your best bet. The may be a smidge less convenient at times, but they more than make up for it in other ways. Besides so much can be done online you hardly know the difference.

Maclin

Admiral

Look up "rehypothecation" be sure to have a barf bag ready.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I love my credit union, I've been with them for 32 years and they are local. Best rates around for loans. Don't know about interest paid, I ain't got enough money to make any!

kfa4303

Banned

I like how they do it in Brazil where the CEOs are personally liable for the losses of their company. That way the boss has some skin in the game at all times and will (hopefully) think twice before playing with the company bank account. The credit unions here in the States really are a good idea a lot of the time, but they're having a hard time because the banks hate them so much and do everything they can to try to take them out of the market. Fun, fun, fun....

NYBo

Admiral

whos_on_first.jpg

Kiwi Phil

Commander

My young bloke is doing an assignment on this at Uni - well, its about the 2008 Global Financial Crisis, and sort of mixed in with Capitalism. Very interesting assignment actually.
The American Banking system is - well - not really what people think it is. Bit sad really.

Cheers
Phillip

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, it' like sausage, you really don't want to know how they make it.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

From where I live there are probably two dozen small towns within 25 miles. Drive through any of them and the newest, nicest buildings are always the banks. I always think of that when my banker starts telling me how tough business is.

Yup, either that, or they are in the old, cla-$$-ic, heritage building that is reminiscent of a plantation house.

aspeck

Staff member

Lot of bank bashing here, but who do you go to when you need a loan or want to open a checkbook to make paying of your bills and getting paid easier?

No necessarily defending them, just sayin' ...

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Banks simply understand how compound interest works and they apply it to a business model. There's really no threat of loss of one's money (to a point) as it's FDIC insured.

Banks loan money and collect interest. That why 99.9% of the smaller banks/lenders that make loans as mortgages sell them in the wholesale market (for a smaller profit that the interest it could accrue)...it frees up the money to re-loan and collect another small profit. It's a cycle they repeat. It's how banks make money.

Don't forget banks also borrow money from the Federal Reserve @ .5% (this fluctuates) and in turn banks re-loan it at prevailing consumer rates: say 5% (this also fluctuates)

Bank's Profit Centers:
#1 Loan Interest (to include capital investments)-I would guesstimate 90% of there profit
#2 Banking Fees, checking fees, savings fees-I would guesstimate 7%

Like any business, make more than you spend and hope there's some profit in there somewhere, if not get out of business!

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2 words offer a complete solution to banks and they are...............CREDIT UNION..........nuff said

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You wan to really twist your head around... Start looking into the Federal Reserve.