potential broken strings

Sea Hunt Owner

Recruit
Looking for some input. I have recently puchased a '97 Seahunt triton 172. I have discovered that the hull has a little give in a spot just port of the keel and just forward of the center console. Talked to Seahunt about it and they said that it was probably broken stringers but no wood in the hull, only transom. I asked if it might hold up for some time like this and was lead to believe that it might. Repairs are obviously difficult and costly. Does anyone have any feedback as to whether this will last awhile or will it deteriorate fast from here. If I push with my thumb on affected area I can get maybe a 1/4 inch of play. Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: potential broken strings

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'd equate a broken stringer with a broken frame on a truck, or a broken leg on a horse....

They're yer dice,.... Roll 'em if ya want....

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you see any damage to the are from outside? Pictures will help. If there is no outside damage or signs of repair I would doubt that it has broken stringers. Most likely rotten, but since you are saying there is no wood.....
Is it possible that it is area between stringers?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The longer you neglect the problem, the problem will grow. It's not going to get any better, only worse as long as you continue to use your boat in disrepair. I don't like the word "might" when talking about boat problems and fixes.

The PO probably knew of this problem and decided to sell the boat instead of fixing it.

You say the hull flexes when you push it with your thump, how much does it flex when you push it with the palm of your hand like trying to push a stalled car to the side of the road?

Don't neglect your boat, fix it now.

Sea Hunt Owner

Recruit

Thanks for feedback. If I push with palm the give is no more than with thumb. I am not familiar with how the stringers are laid out so do not know if it could be between them. There is no, what I would consider significant, visible damage to the hull. Looks to be just gel coat cracks

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello SHO and welcome to Iboats..

If it is a molded stringer system in your boat then yea..you dont have any wood in there.

The 'deflection' that your asking about could be normal if its in a flat area ( I assume its in the flat and not directly under a stringer system ).

Its hard to say .. but if you dont have significant visible damage on the outside ( and its OEM gel and not covered up ) .. then your probably looking at a bowl in the boat. These areas are subject to deflection by nature.

17-18 footer Might have some weak spots in the lams..yours might just be part of the build.

Have you inspected your stringer system for delam ? .. I doubt your stringers will Crack and/or break before you have serious issues with your hull.

YD.

Sea Hunt Owner

Recruit

Hello SHO and welcome to Iboats..

If it is a molded stringer system in your boat then yea..you dont have any wood in there.

The 'deflection' that your asking about could be normal if its in a flat area ( I assume its in the flat and not directly under a stringer system ).

Its hard to say .. but if you dont have significant visible damage on the outside ( and its OEM gel and not covered up ) .. then your probably looking at a bowl in the boat. These areas are subject to deflection by nature.

17-18 footer Might have some weak spots in the lams..yours might just be part of the build.

Have you inspected your stringer system for delam ? .. I doubt your stringers will Crack and/or break before you have serious issues with your hull.

YD.

Thanks for your input and welcome. It is on a flat spot. I have not inspected the stringers because there is no easy way to get at it. I also do not know how stringers are generally laid out so do not know if it would be in between stringers. So are you saying that a "bowl" is an area between stringers and that the strength of the stringers may not be compromised?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for your input and welcome. It is on a flat spot. I have not inspected the stringers because there is no easy way to get at it. I also do not know how stringers are generally laid out so do not know if it would be in between stringers. So are you saying that a "bowl" is an area between stringers and that the strength of the stringers may not be compromised?

Yes..a bowl is between a stringer and a bulkhead.

Its just an open spot on the boat build that does not have stringers or bulkies..

Some peeps buy a boat and put it on any ol' trailer that 'fits' it .. in reality the trailer bunks ( or rollers ) are set for a specific boat build.

The stringers in question may or may not be compromised .. we dont know until its been inspected.

It could be a simple deflection .. or it could be the boat was pounded across I75 not tied down right on an improper trailer set-up..

Need to inspect more mate.. Deflection is not always a 'toasted boat' .. but you need to fix Why it happened in the first place.

YD.