wiring harness for 2000 75hp four stroke

dewe48

Cadet
Hi. New on the forum. I have a 2000 75 hp four stroke. Last year the voltage regulator melted off of it. The dealer orders me a new "KIT" that comes with the whole wiring harness. Now that I'm stuck with the 450 dollar mess that I don't think I need I have a problem. I can find where each wire goes except one long one. Attached is a picture. Can anyone tell me where the wire with the arrow pointing at it goes, or is it just an extra one? The wires are black, and black with yellow strip. It has a rubber sleeve over the wire. thanks

Attachments

• boat wire harness 002.jpg
    boat wire harness 002.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0

dewe48

Cadet
Re: wiring harness for 2000 75hp four stroke

Seems it goes to the thermostat. I guess my first post on here was a real stumper.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Sorry nobody got to your post. Do you have a service manual and if you do, go to the Wiring Diagrams, page 2D-5.

If you don't have a manual, post your s/n and we'll send you the online version.

BLACK / YELLOW STRIPE Shorting or Stop Circuit

Gerry

dewe48

Cadet

Everything is back together and working. My only concern is the voltage gauge reads 14 or above all the time, unless I'm using the trim. When I trim the motor the gauge will drop to around 12 volts, and then climb right back up to 14 or 15. Is this normal?

carholme

Rear Admiral

From the manual:

With engine running

If battery voltage is above 14.5-15.0 volts, replace voltage regulator/rectifier. Check condition
of battery as overcharging may have damaged battery.

If battery voltage is below 14.5 volts, charge battery. If battery can NOT be satisfactorily
charged, replace battery.

Gerry

dewe48

Cadet

Sorry nobody got to your post. Do you have a service manual and if you do, go to the Wiring Diagrams, page 2D-5.

If you don't have a manual, post your s/n and we'll send you the online version.

BLACK / YELLOW STRIPE Shorting or Stop Circuit

Gerry

ser# OT 102251 I'd love to get a copy of the manual. thanx

dewe48

Cadet

From the manual:

With engine running

If battery voltage is above 14.5-15.0 volts, replace voltage regulator/rectifier. Check condition
of battery as overcharging may have damaged battery.

If battery voltage is below 14.5 volts, charge battery. If battery can NOT be satisfactorily
charged, replace battery.

Gerry
Well the regulator is new. I guess next weekend I'll check the battery. thanx again.