1985 Honda 9.9 - No 4-stroke exp. - To buy or not to buy...

jallenlots

Seaman Apprentice
Hello kind folks,

I recently searched out (or when it comes to my girl, "stumbled upon" :D) a local ad for a 1985 Honda 9.9hp motor for $225. I have never owned a 4-stroke outboard before, but I'm looking at this as a potential kicker for my 16ft. Cherokee which I use mostly for inland largemouth fishing. Most of the lakes I fish are a bit small to justify constantly firing up my 85hp 'rude. So to break it down, here is what I'm wondering:

A) Is this motor going to be substantially quieter and smoother than a two-stroke of similar era/quality?

B) If so, is that volume reduction and smooth operation enough to justify the fact that it's harder and, from what I hear, pricier to fix and maintain?

C) Would there be a substantial increase in fuel efficiency over a two-stroke of similar era/quality?

The reason I ask is I recently read through the old Clymer "Design Fundamentals/Operating Principles" and the text made it sound as if a four-stroke is the "bee's knees" when it comes to everything but maintenance and repair. Also, I'm thinking that since Honda came out with four-stroke OB's in 1964, this four-stroke motor technically has over 20 years of R&D in the four-stroke OB field behind it. Look's great.... on paper, which is why I wanted to consult the eons of combined experience on this forum.

As I have no personal experience with four-stroke outboards, I wanted to ask the experts here what the "real world" difference would be. I also looked at a 6hp Evinrude Fisherman. It's older but I know that I could maintain that motor and I can pick it up for half the price of the Honda. The HP difference is irrelevant to me, but if the Honda is going to be whisper quiet and use gas sparingly, wellllllll..... So what's the verdict? Is it time to make the move to a four-stroke? Or am I better off going with what I know?

Thanks a ton for your time guys,

Jesse

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 1985 Honda 9.9 - No 4-stroke exp. - To buy or not to buy...

A. Yes.
B. Only increased maintenance is once a season oil change, and possible valve lash adjustment.
C. Yes.
Question: What about parts availability as the motor goes into its 3rd decade?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 8HP Honda that is probably about 1994, based on what the prev owner said. I've had it 2 yrs and am pleased with it; the only problems I've had were clogging of the low speed jet, which at least is easily removable from the top of the carb. While I have had no real "mechanical" work to do (like valves, etc.) I have done water pump replacements and carb cleaning and I found it OK (and I have 0 experience with any engines).

However, to Paul's point, I wonder about parts. In general (experts) how long do these manufacturers tend to support with replacement parts? Mine is getting near 20 yrs, and I kind of wonder when the parts availability will end.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you plan to stick with that engine for more years, start buying principal parts now, parts availability does not last forever and this applies to most Japanese outboards.

Happy Boating

jallenlots

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a ton for the info guys. Sounds like the Honda is the easy choice once I make sure parts are available and get a few extras to put on the shelf. Carb. cleaning and pump pm-ing are no problem. I'm certainly no expert, but I follow instructions well, and have a fair bit of mechanical inclination.

With the obvious variable being parts, besides the obvious carb. kits and water pump items, what else would you advise I stock up on for a motor like this? This is another area where my knowledge is limited to 2-stroke when it comes to marine engines. Also, I usually use marineengine.com or ebay for parts for my OMC's. Are there any parts site suggestions for this make/model (or even just in general if you have sites you like for all motors)?

Thanks again.