Is it possible?

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Different design of a Pontoons interest me. But it all comes down to water displacement weight and lift. The faster you can get on top of the water the better. Less Drag the better. I am always working on out of the box ideas here is my latest.
I come up with a way to lift the back of my boat to level with less drag before applying power. Should I except higher speeds faster and to stay on plane?

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it possible?

idea1.jpg
This should work...I see this as a big trim tab with you control bouyance and angle by forceing the aluminum cross tubes deeper into the water. 63 pounds of lift per one cubic ft of water displacement.
Drag will be less because of lift. The enclosed flat surface in the middle

Attachments

• idea.jpg
    idea.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not very descriptive. Why not add some words to describe what it is we are looking at. It would appear that you plan to drag two more 1/2 tubes sidways behind the boat. That would likely raise the stern but drag would slow it down considerably. Extending the rear of each tube would accomplish the same thing with less drag.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, I had a Piper Cherokee 6 in the 90s . Sold to buy a 206 but never did.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I get your concept but don't know if it would work, first of all you are looking at probably 200-300 extra pounds on the back of the boat and it is behind the engine so if would drag in turns.

You would need a killer mount too to keep it from tearing up the deck, alot of force draginf something behind the boat.

Who knows , it may work great but you will have to build and test it to see, really hard to tell what something will do once you start dragging it throught the water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why not a set of Nauticus trim tabs. Add some brackets to the back of each tube, mount the tabs and go. Inexpensive as well.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

OK, you want ot raise the back of your toon so that when you are on plane the back of your toon are ontop of the water , not in the water, is that what you are trying to accompolish?

This is what I did. I have a 24' JC Tritoon, I wanted more power not speed but power. My power plant is a M/C 470 and a pre Alpha outdrive. I went to a 16" prop with a 13" pitch. I got the power I wanted but the lift to the rear of the boat was incredible. Running at about 20 mph (gps) I can look over the back of my toon and see my drain plugs out of the water, the rear of the toons are just skimming the surface of the water.

That is my $0.02 worth.

Larry

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I am not explaining myself. This platform will produce about 2000 lbs of lift setting still. Trim tabs are mainly for higher speed boat. Several of my friends like it to put on fishing boats to run in the shallow bays where the fish are feeding.
Like 5150 said build it to see what really happens. Like I did with my cabin. With studs weighing 7lbs each at 24" inch centers and rafters less than 100 lbs in total. I have added less than 400lbs for the total structure and outside. Maybe 2 toons might be enough ?
Thanks for the advise on the prop.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Any thing is possible if you throw enough money at it.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

iguess, it would be like water skiing with the tips of skies sticking out of the water and a bouyance force creating up lift to help you get on top of the water. Should work need to see what the computer says.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think I understand it provides flotation as well as working like trim tabs.
It surely will change the angle of the pontoon but will create a lot of drag.
Simple tabs on a mono hull change planing angle of the boat improving holeshot and ride.
But actually sap a little speed and fuel. Even when carefully applied.
Usually a flow meter is required to measure the difference in fuel.
The best mileage was with the tabs fully retracted.