OB paint

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all:

Here?s one to paint gurus, I have my outboard tear apart and have almost everything to bare metal, and trying to know what?s the best course of action from here: a little sanding and just paint or primer first, etc.....any thoughts??

All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: OB paint

I recently restored a 50 year old OB.
The paint was weather, chipped, but still solid, and not peeling
I bead blasted down to bare metal.
There was definetly Zinc Chromate Primer under the paint.

Zinc Chromate Primer went back on; Rustoleum and Custom Vinyl followed.

Before, During, And After Photos.

Before.jpgDuring.jpgAfter.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

The link to my 5.5hp fisherman restoration is in my signature. I used Zinc Chromate primer, and automotive paint on top of that.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

+1 on the zinc chromate primer and then the factory color after that. Most colors are available from the local marine centers in rattle cans. They will work just fine.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You don't need to completely remove the old paint, as long as it is still stuck to the engine well you just need to scuff it up with some 320 or 400.

Etching primer is a must and can be had at any auto parts store, it isn't like regular primer in that it won't fill or hide anything, you will need to use regular primer for that after the etching is on.

They also have really good rattle can paint there and being white you don't really need to match any colors, the key to a good paint job is prep time, the more you pend getting it ready to paint the better it will be, as I have sadi, the difference between a $300 paint job and a $3000 paint job is about 100 hours, averything else is the same.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you guys for all the input. Definately I?ll go with the zinc first and then use a good can of white spray, for convinience.

What a wonderful job you guys do with your OB?s hope mine at least get close to that!!!

Cheers!!

Thalasso

Commander

You don't need to completely remove the old paint, as long as it is still stuck to the engine well you just need to scuff it up with some 320 or 400.

Etching primer is a must and can be had at any auto parts store, it isn't like regular primer in that it won't fill or hide anything, you will need to use regular primer for that after the etching is on.

They also have really good rattle can paint there and being white you don't really need to match any colors, the key to a good paint job is prep time, the more you pend getting it ready to paint the better it will be, as I have sadi, the difference between a $300 paint job and a $3000 paint job is about 100 hours, averything else is the same.

You don't need etching primer if you don't go to bare metal

Thalasso

Commander

Hello to all:

Here?s one to paint gurus, I have my outboard tear apart and have almost everything to bare metal, and trying to know what?s the best course of action from here: a little sanding and just paint or primer first, etc.....any thoughts??

All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

What ever you do, do not use a wire brush. Use zinc oxide sandpaper to sand

Pony

Rear Admiral

You don't need etching primer if you don't go to bare metal

On areas you did go down to the bare metal on, you can use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water to "etch" the metal for the paint to stick as well.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

He si probably going to go through here and there and a can of ecthing is $5, well worth not having to do it again in a tear.

I amnot sold on the vinegar to etch the aluminum, the etching primer is a stronger acid that eats inot the aluminum, even if you wash it with vinegar the paint is still on aluminum and won't stick, I could be wrong but if I were going to that much trouble to paint I would take the chance.