Maintenance Question

Mamier

Seaman
Me again. 1985 260hp 5.7 MerCruiser. I thought it would be a good idea to check the oil (as I do in my car) and cannot find a dipstick on this engine. Can someone tell me where it is? <br /><br />Also, as fall approaches,another question. I will be keeping the boat in the water. In Seattle, it get cold (35-45 in winter)but we never get a freeze. I plan to run the engine once a week (marina is a block from the house) but was wondering if I should have a mechanic winterize it (and what that would be) rather than running it frequently. We do get 65 degree days in the winter, so I can run her. Ok...thanks for your help.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Maintenance Question

they put the dip stick on port side of most merc. 5.7 engines.it will be located in between exhaust manifold and valve cover--near rear of engine.Allthough i have seen thek on the other side of engine in same location.I personaly would witerize it---and get a service manual!!!

f_inscreenname

Commander

When in doubt. Winterize. You could always do the electric blanket trick or get a motor box heater just in case if you decide not to winterize.

Mamier

Seaman

Thanks F_inscreenname. I'll call the local mechanic that changed my belts a few weeks ago. I'm curious to know what "winterizing" means if I leave it in the water. Thanks man.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Winterize it. It gets to freezing some nights here, and for sure you will crack a block. Better have a good talk with your mechanic.

Strtocstr1

Recruit

I'd winterize it. Ask the guy I bought my boat from how cheap you have to get rid of your boat if you crack the engine and manifolds cause it does occasionally freeze here. ( I live in Seattle too) Worked good for me, bad for him :)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

"M" it does freeze in the city, although rarely........If your engine is raw water cooled it should probably be winterized....If not I would have some source of heat in the engine box. I have a fwc set-up so I'm not affected, but for the few days that I might want to use the boat between Dec.-March, I don't leave it in the water. I do have the luxury of a trailer though, so it's not a big deal to throw it in the water for me.....JK

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

You could just pull the drain plugs and empty the water from the block and manifolds. Make sure you drain the power steering cooler. Then spray fogging oil down the carb until it chokes off the engine. It only takes about 15 minutes and your done. That's all I've ever done and have never had a problem. I always change the oil in the fall in both the outdrive and the motor.