41 years and it finally died

bigdee

Commander
My central AC went out today after 41 years. The compressor housing rusted through and dumped the freon. I am replacing it with a split system heat pump since the old furnace was electric. I will still install 10kw of heat strips for supplemental and back-up. My house has 2 HVAC systems and the other one is a 41 year old 5 ton so I am praying it can go another year! They both are Lennox. If the new unit will last 10 years I will probably be in the ground.

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 41 years and it finally died

Wow, that's awesome. I bet your electric bill will drop drastically with the new system. Out of curiosity, what was the sear rating of it? 13 is the current minimum right now.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

41 years! I would write the company if they're still in business. It's commercial time!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

My central AC went out today after 41 years. The compressor housing rusted through and dumped the freon. I am replacing it with a split system heat pump since the old furnace was electric. I will still install 10kw of heat strips for supplemental and back-up. My house has 2 HVAC systems and the other one is a 41 year old 5 ton so I am praying it can go another year! They both are Lennox. If the new unit will last 10 years I will probably be in the ground.

No warranty left?...:)

bigdee

Commander

Wow, that's awesome. I bet your electric bill will drop drastically with the new system. Out of curiosity, what was the sear rating of it? 13 is the current minimum right now.

I can only guess, but probably around 6 or 7. I figure the heat pump will save too plus I still have the electric if I need it. The new system is just a 13 seer but what the heck it will still save a lot and the payback time will be about the same since the purchase price was much less.