Loss of RPM and Speed

LMBASS02

Recruit
I have a 1989 200 HP Evinrude. It use to run 5500 RPM and GPS 62 MPH. Now it tops out at 4800 RPM and 46 MPH. It sometines idles rough and dies and when this happens it is very sluggish out of the hole but comes on up and goes up to 4800 then just max's out there. I have checked compression and they are all good between 92 and 95. I have cleaned the carbs. I have changed the plugs. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Loss of RPM and Speed

Find your year and model of outboard in the CDI troubleshooting guide to rule out an ignition issue.

LMBASS02

Recruit

I checked it out and have changed the power pack. Now it is worse than before. Will not come out of the hole and will only turn about 2500 rpm? Does anyone have any suggestions?

hidef

Lieutenant

Your new powerpack might be bad. Did you check for spark on all six cylinders? Did you get all the wiring connected correctly and all connections are clean and corrosion free?

BonairII

Commander

Call the manufacturer(CDI?) and tell them what's going on. Tech support should be able to walk you through it. If nothing else, it should ensure that you can return the new PP.

LMBASS02

Recruit

Yes, I have spark on all 6 but the spark does not seem as good on 2 of them. All the connections are clean and hooked up correctly. Does the timing need to be reset?