Can someone tell me my options for these bubbles?

97v196

Cadet
I acquired this boat, 97 Sylvan V196 with a 4.3l Alpha One, last September from someone who owed me money. The boat runs great and the interior is excellent but I have some issues with the hull. Can someone please tell me what my options are. I know I need to repair damage to the gelcoat where it is broke out and at the corner of the v where it appears to be wore through. Is that something I can fix myself? Also the boat leans to the right quite a bit when up on plane. I didn't look to see if it leans just setting in the water but I weighed the boat and trailer this week end and I had 110lbs on the tongue and 150lbs more on the right side than the left. I has sat under roof since October. Could i have water trapped in the hull somewhere causing this?

Thanks
Nick

2012-04-24_09-58-35_551.jpg
2012-04-24_09-58-20_769.jpg
2012-04-24_09-59-08_55.jpg

97v196

Cadet
Re: Can someone tell me my options for these bubbles?

Anyone got some advice, or should I ask in a seperate section?

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

That is osmotic blistering. Water has wicked into the laminate, mixed with uncured resin, and produced and acidic nasty mess. It can be repaired, but it is very labor intensive. Proper repair of it would require using a planer to remove the affected layer(s) of glass, fully drying the hull, laying new glass, and fairing the repair.

I would be more worried about the listing you describe. You are carrying around a lot of water below deck and osmotic blistering doesn't cause a list. The blistering is likely an outward symptom of severe long term water intrusion into the stringers/floatation foam/transom/etc.. Blistering is caused when polyester resin is in sustained contact with water. This usually takes many years to occur and is not something you commonly see on a runabout like this. Since that boat doesn't appear to have been kept in the water, it would seem likely that neglect allowed water to collect below decks for very long periods of time.

In short, you have bigger problems that those which are visible.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The blisters don't require any attention unless they bother you, even the missing gel coat is just a cosmetic issue, and yes you can fix the missing gel coat rather easily.

The list could be could be from poorly thought out weight distribution when it was designed, or from water in the foam, but if it doesn't list at rest it could be from something else.

97v196

Cadet

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Now for the next question, what are your opinions about using the boat this season and tackling the work next fall and winter. Will it be unsafe, or cause some me much more work that will need to be done. The motor and driveline work great on this boat, the seats are in excellent condition. Other than the hull and the listing this boat is immaculate. Is it worth repairing because it sounds like it could possibly get very expensive and labor intensive.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The listing part of the equation is the one that's most concerning. The Blisters could be caused by saturated foam on the interior and if it is, that wet foam can add several hundred lbs. of weight to the boat. The listing WILL cause the boat to handle funny and could be somewhat unsafe. If she were mine, I would definetly be thinking about cutting some exploratory holes in the deck to investigate the foam on the side that is listing, taking core samples of it to determine if it is indeed saturated. If it is, then you will need to remove all of the wet foam (it cannot be dried out), replace it with new foam, and do any other repairs you might find down below. Not what you want to hear but IMHO I believe it is sound advice.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The list could be could be from poorly thought out weight distribution when it was designed, or from water in the foam, but if it doesn't list at rest it could be from something else.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Now for the next question,

As ondarvr suggested..lets find out if this thing floats straight before we get into the Next question..

Also the boat leans to the right quite a bit when up on plane. I didn't look to see if it leans just setting in the water

So your suggesting that the boat leans to STBD when ON plane only ? .. what about Idle ? .. You didnt check to see if it was level when you put it on the trailer ?

You need to find out the Natural float of the boat before Anyone can answer ( its all speculation from here ).

Your almost suggesting that you have 20 Gals of water on the STBD side somewhere ( from your weigh in ) .. thats A LOT of water mate.

Float your boat and see how it sits naturally. ( without beer coolers and such ).

YD.

97v196

Cadet

Understood, I will try to get it to the lake here in the next few days and post pictures of how it looks. Sorry I just don't have much knowledge on the sport of boating. Reading around here I have picked up some info but boy do i have a lot to learn. When I put it on the trailer last I just pulled up, had my father latch the front chain than I slowly backed up to make the chain taut, than he slowly pulled out while I looked over the STBD side to make sure the boat centered on the trailer. It looks really good on the trailer, not leaning anyway.

I am assuming that dropping it in the water to test how she leans floating and at idle, with the current gel coat damage and blisters, isn't going to make anything worst than it already is, correct?

Thanks again all I wish I would have asked these questions last fall.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, she'll float ok for now. I'm curious as to when you do power turns do you notice a significant handling difference from left to right?

97v196

Cadet

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge but I am assuming you are calling a power turn a turn when the boat is up on plane? I really don't have anything to compare it to, I have never piloted a runabout before. Turning right obviously seemed good and easy and when going left it just kinda listed to the left and seemed fine than too, but when I would straighten the wheel out it would list back to the right. I wish I had more experience to go off of, but I just don't. I have only ran about a half a tank of fuel or 17 gallons through it.

I did pull the one seat mount off and there was a hole I could see foam in. It felt dry but it seemed to only go down about 6 inches to another fiberglassed area. But looking at the hull it seemed like it should go down farther. Is there a second layer or floor below? I really don't know the construction of these boats, any links on where I can see how runabouts are put together?

With a little luck, no rain, and a good jacket I hope to get the boat out on the lake tomorrow to check the listing while resting and while putting along. Any thing else to look for?

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I am assuming that dropping it in the water to test how she leans floating and at idle, with the current gel coat damage and blisters, isn't going to make anything worst than it already is, correct?

You can fix them or leave them as is (as in for ever), it will make no difference on a boat kept on a trailer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

ondarvr is right you don't have to fix the blisters, but the listing could be waterlogged foam and that's what I'm trying to determine. Your
"Weighing" experiment makes me believe you have water below the deck but I'm struggling with how to determine that. Not totally familiar with your boat and it's hull design.

97v196

Cadet

Took the boat out this morning. with just me in it in the drivers seat it leans, with me in the port side it sits really good. with no one in the boat it lists to the STBD side but we held a level on it and the complete bubble sits just past the center marks. looks like this ( )O
I drove it and if I stand in the center he stays level and even on plain its not too bad with me in the driver seat but perfect with be sitting on the port side holding the wheel. Did another weighing job and the there is a 110 lb difference. I think I am going to move the battery to the other side and try that for a while.

thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a lot of times.....just moving stuff around is the best bet for a while......but at the end of the season.....i would be doing some exploratory holes to find out if the foam is wet.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey bud I would do like everyone says and check for some water ...My boat had a solid floor and all but the problem was the manufacturers in the 90's for sure use to put holes in the floor to put the pour in foam in. I found 34 of them in my boat under the carpet not sealed. They probably kept the water out for the first few years but after that the water from rain etc gradually worked its way into the foam. So don't let a solid deck fool you...carpet can hide alot of manufacturing procedures. But myself the biggest problem I find it is not the manufacturer it is the people producing the products the manufacturers use and telling the manufacturers it does this and does that etc... I guess more like a prescription alot of the times you don't find out the side affects unless you ask and then they only have to show a certain percentage and above .:facepalm:
Took the boat out this morning. with just me in it in the drivers seat it leans, with me in the port side it sits really good. with no one in the boat it lists to the STBD side but we held a level on it and the complete bubble sits just past the center marks. looks like this ( )O
I drove it and if I stand in the center he stays level and even on plain its not too bad with me in the driver seat but perfect with be sitting on the port side holding the wheel. Did another weighing job and the there is a 110 lb difference. I think I am going to move the battery to the other side and try that for a while.

thanks

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

a lot of times.....just moving stuff around is the best bet for a while......but at the end of the season.....i would be doing some exploratory holes to find out if the foam is wet.

I agree.

In the mean time you could do some poking and prodding around the engine compartment to give you an idea of the condition of the stringers/mounts and transom.

Look around for limber holes in the stringers..Does your boat drain into the bilge below deck ?

In any case. Do a little checking around and make a determination of Safety.

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Hey bud I would do like everyone says and check for some water ...My boat had a solid floor and all but the problem was the manufacturers in the 90's for sure use to put holes in the floor to put the pour in foam in. I found 34 of them in my boat under the carpet not sealed. They probably kept the water out for the first few years but after that the water from rain etc gradually worked its way into the foam. So don't let a solid deck fool you...carpet can hide alot of manufacturing procedures. But myself the biggest problem I find it is not the manufacturer it is the people producing the products the manufacturers use and telling the manufacturers it does this and does that etc... I guess more like a prescription alot of the times you don't find out the side affects unless you ask and then they only have to show a certain percentage and above .:facepalm:

There are times when a product doesn’t live up to how it’s hyped, but the more frequent issue is products not being used correctly. People frequently find new and creative was to use lower cost products in place of products that are designed for the specific job, and then find a way to do it quicker using many shortcuts. This results in something holding up for a while, but it fails a few years down the road. Even these low cost products would hold up longer if they were used correctly though. The example you gave about holes in the plywood floor to inject foam, this is common and wrong, so are poorly covered stringers, unsealed limber holes, unsealed transom screws, etc, these are all so common this forum stays busy with people asking about how to repair the damage.

You don’t often see the products fail (glass, resin, gel coat, glue, wood and other things) without the help of a person doing a poor job. The poor job can be in product selection, design, workmanship, shop conditions, neglect, poor training, etc.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don’t often see the products fail (glass, resin, gel coat, glue, wood and other things) without the help of a person doing a poor job. The poor job can be in product selection, design, workmanship, shop conditions, neglect, poor training, etc.

Exactly ...but all I was getting at is i was in the trade full time for a bunch of years and most of our training on product was through the product supplier and they were not very good at training 20 years ago...most of it was a pamphlet and phone if you have concerns on new products.:facepalm:

That is why I look at people that have track record on products they use and listen to them as the experienced have seen what product will do.