Groaning noise coming from the transom

pkantor

Cadet
Hello,

I bought a 1995 Rinker 180 bowrider with a 3.0 mercruiser I/O (Alpha 0ne) last season. There was a 'groaning' noise coming from the transom area while underway. If I trimmed the drive up a little it would quiet down significantly, but still make noise. I pulled the drive and the gimble bearing had a bit of play and felt "rough" when turning so I pulled it.

As you can see from the pics, there was a rusty residue inside the bellows and coating the u-joints. From what I can tell the bellows seem to be in good shape and not leaking. The U-Joints seem tight. Is there a 'proper' way to check them?DSCF6145.jpgDSCF6146.jpgDSCF6147.jpgDSCF6150.jpgDSCF6151.jpg

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Groaning noise coming from the transom

Replace the bellows, you may not see the leak, but you need a new one.
You also need new ujoints, gimbal bearing, and input shaft seal in the drive. It will probably fail due to rust on the yoke, which may need replaced also.

pkantor

Cadet

Thanks Don! Where is the input shaft seal? Is that the one behind the gimble bearing? Can I just cleanup the yoke? How do I tell if it needs to be replaced?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Is that rust or paint on the yoke and unis? 'cause it's on the bearing keeper lock ring, and that's ali, and doesn't rust...

Don S

Thanks Don! Where is the input shaft seal? Is that the one behind the gimble bearing? Can I just cleanup the yoke? How do I tell if it needs to be replaced?

It's the seal in the front of the outdrive that seals the ujoint shaft so the gear lube doesn't come out of the drive.

PS: you likely have milky gear lube too. That seal will not keep water out of the drive, only oil in. The bellows is what is supposed to keep the water out of the drive.

achris

... The bellows is what is supposed to keep the oil in. .

???

I thought the bellows was to keep water away from the unis and allow a shaft to run from engine to drive while it's turning and trimming.... Maybe I'm wrong, again....

pkantor

Cadet

It's rust. It was a rust/grease film. I cleaned it up with a little WD-40 and a toothbrush. The best I can describe it was a light rust-grease film that was brown on color.

pkantor

Cadet

Don, I didnt see any water in the drive oil. I changed it when I bought the boat. It was a little dirty, but no water. I only took the boat out 3 times last year, so if it is leaking it's probably slow. I will have the seal replaced.

achris

It's rust. It was a rust/grease film. I cleaned it up with a little WD-40 and a toothbrush. The best I can describe it was a light rust-grease film that was brown on color.

Then you're going to need to undo the lock ring and pull the bearing pack apart to replace the front seal and probably the yoke itself too (like Don said) because that rust will have destroyed the seal surface and it's only a matter of time (and not a lot of that) before the seal leaks oil into the bellows, and runs the top gears dry and they burn up....

Chris..........

pkantor

Cadet

I am pressure testing the drive now to see if that top seal is leaking. (just curious) I plan to replace it and inspect the yoke. I am hoping that rust film can be cleaned and the yoke saved. If not I will just replace the whole U-Joint yoke assembly. Looks like I can get a new replacement for around $300.

pkantor

Cadet

Does anyone have any thoughts about this white discoloration on the drive?DSCF6182.jpgDSCF6183.jpg

Don S

Minerals in the water and heat from the drive.

pkantor

Cadet

Thanks Don! I was worried that it was something worse! The guy I bought the boat from used it in a small inland lake in Indiana. Haven't seen that from Lake Erie! By the way... doesn't seem to be holding pressure :( I am hoping I can tackle this myself! (with the help of you guys of course!)

pkantor

Cadet

Update - Had a leak in my pressure tester apparatus. The drive held 9lbs of pressure over night. This is a good thing, right?

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes- the drive holding 9lbs over night is a good thing. I would do what Don says and just go through and replace what he said. 9 out of 10 times you will have to replace that imput shaft yolk like Don said. I would automatically assume replacing that so do add that to the list. When I did mine I think it only ran $27.00. U-joints are cheap as well