Starcraft Mariner owners please read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
I have noticed that the starcraft mariner boat of around the 70s is almost gone,Very few are left out there,if you have one,012.jpgIMG_4208.JPGSANY0006.jpgSANY0127.jpg1st day of pajam rebuild 007.jpg put pics and info of your ride ok,thanks.

64osby

Admiral
Re: Starcraft Mariner owners please read!

Here's our 1973 21' Mariner with a 1985 90HP Johnson and a 7.5 kicker. Picked it up in August 2011, splash ready. :)

starcraft21.jpg

Still original but I have been adding a few things. Here is a slide show (if it works)

http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Last edited:

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

That's a beautiful mariner,I wondered what it looked like for real! Any leaks?

64osby

Admiral

jj - Nothing to speak of, had it in the water for 9 straight days last summer and had about a quart drain out. Could be a small leak or remnants of rain and general use. We trailer most of the summer and very small amounts dribble out after a day of tubing and skiing.

I've never used the bilge pump, I was thinking I need to check it and make sure it works.:)

barato2

Commander

beautiful boat!

two dumb Qs on CCs......
1) how is the wiring etc routed from console back to motor? does it just go under floor between stringers, or do they take it over to the gunwale and then back to stern?

2)on steering, i assume that gets routed through the gunwale due to need for side pull at motor end. how does it get from console to gunwale, and how does it get back up through floor into gunwale proper?

64osby

Admiral

That's a beautiful mariner,I wondered what it looked like for real! Any leaks?

jj007 - I just read your rebuild thread. Great job!:D Don't have to spend a fortune to be on the water. Your dog seems to love it too.

And thanks.

64osby

Admiral

two dumb Qs on CCs......

b2 - Hey there are no dumb Qs. I answered this once but deleted it:( Try again.

The wires and steering cables go down under the floor and straight back, pop back up under the splashwell. The steering cable loops starboard and pops out the inner side of the splash next to the transom, big 180.

There are no wires in the gunnels on either side. The wires for the nav light are also under the floor. It seems that there is about a 3" diameter mass of wire and control cables. It doesn't like to move, very tight, hard to work around it.

I don't think they used any tubes or channels, I have seen guys putting pvc or like to use as a chase on rebuilds, good idea.

I know the markings on my controls are backwards, I think they installed the unit backwards on purpose, but reversed the cables. I saw one other just like it.

Not as good as the first time, but hope you get the idea.

Keep banging on your Holiday conversion, the b2 Holiner or Mariday.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

jj - Nothing to speak of, had it in the water for 9 straight days last summer and had about a quart drain out. Could be a small leak or remnants of rain and general use. We trailer most of the summer and very small amounts dribble out after a day of tubing and skiing.

I've never used the bilge pump, I was thinking I need to check it and make sure it works.:)

Sounds good, mine has 2 pumps just in case and leaked like a son of a gun,after 10hrs on water i could fill up two home depot buckets easy.now im down to about a gallon after all day.too many rivets and my boat has had a rough life.

dave 524

Seaman

You'd be surprised at the amount of condensation I get on lake Ontario on a hot summer day when the air is 90+ and high humidity and the water temp is about 60 if you're lucky, if your beverage cans are sweating so is the hull below the waterline.

Got an 82 sylvan Rodmaster, 18 foot CC and got the same backwards omc control you got on an identical console:)

BonairII

Commander

Great looking boat! Tons of room to fish or play.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My '73 18' does have a sheet aluminum gutter running from the console to the splash well.
Approximately 6" wide, 3" deep.

eyeballjr

Recruit
Mine says its a 14ft mariner O\B a 73 model. I know nothing about it as i just bought it a couple days ago. I found this site by searching for info on the boat. 531339_255425317889035_100002647054276_459365_469667864_n.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard eyeballjr.

You have a rare beast there.

Looks nice.

barato2

Commander

hey Eyeball---nice boat. start a separate thread on it and post some pix.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1974 18' Mariner in possess of a restore with some changes.
IMG00040-20120501-1722.jpgIMG00042-20120501-1723.jpgIMG00045-20120508-1218.jpgIMG00046-20120508-1219.jpg

barato2

Commander

hey Ct--like the boat! did you do the alum transom skin or was that already there? is the wood OK underneath? and inquiring minds want to know about the crime scene tape.....

we'd all love to see more pix of it as it goes together. start a separate thread. i'll cover your Starmada dues for ythis year.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

what in the world makes us try to fix these? just askin

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

barato2 : No it is not a skin. I started too build a wood replacement for the transom and then got creative or should I say started to think. (Sometimes not a good thing) The old outer skin looked like some shot it with a 410 with #9 bird shot. Thinking what the hell just build the new transom with 1/4” skin 2 sides with 1” sq tubing 3/16 wall for bracing Weld it and no more rotting of a transom. Will be doing the new deck with 3/16 alum diamond plate also. The boat will be a couple of hundred ponds more then stock but should never have to replace the wood. Some times thinking gets me in trouble but what the hell, I am a welder fabricator and have been working with alum for 30 years. So the rebuild is on should be a learning experience. LOL Crime scene tape lets hope it will not turn into a crime scene ( New hold down strap )

IMG00044-20120502-1520.jpg IMG00044-20120502-15201.JPG

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am currently fixing a 78 Mariner with a CC. One major difference that I have noticed is that in mine I have 3 floor braces opposed to most of you only have 2 in them. My extra one runs right down the center of the boat. I currently don't have any pictures of the floor braces at the moment, but I will post one in the near future when I go to re-install them to replace the floor. With any luck it should be within the next couple weeks.

I had to replace 20 rivets in the bottom, and an equal amount in the transom area. PO filled holes with metal screws and since I had her apart, I took the liberty to remove the screws and replace them with rivets.

Currently sealing transom, and getting ready to apply the gluvit to all the rivets.

If you are looking for more photos, there are some more on my thread in the rebuild section.

Regards

Starcrazy
Wayne

barato2

Commander

Ct, i'm having major transom envy. that is THE MOST AWESOME TRANSOM I'VE EVER SEEN. keep postin them pix.

Starcrazy, is it possible the 3d one is part of the support for the "tray" mounted to the stringers that they used in some Mariners to hold the cables etc up out of the bilge?

Status
Not open for further replies.