92 Cobra OMC - shifting issues

WDT79

Recruit
Bought 92 Crownline with 5.7 OMC Cobra last year....ran great. Today, (been out several times this month) when I shift into forward & upon throttling up, there is a knocking/shuttering/shaking, that seems to be related to throttle cable/outdrive?? Any help would be Greatly Appreciated. Once it final stops trying to catch & propel the boat, it goes away once we are at a minimum RPM. I don't know where to start first as this is my first boat. I am very mechanically inclined however & want to try my hand before dropping $$$ at the repair shop.

Secondary, prior to today, ONLY when shifted into reverse, it will only try to reverese at an idle speed. Any more throttle than idle speed & it dies out, almost sounding like it is getting too much fuel or flooded?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 Cobra OMC - shifting issues

Its possible that your lower shift cable has failed. Don't use the boat anymore until you are sure though. If the dog clutches aren't fully engaging, you will wear them out quickly. Your reverse problem, as well as the shuddering in forward, could be the shift cable causing the ESA to engage longer than its supposed to due to the failing cable.

tilt the drive up and look at the cable as it enters the drive on the starboard side. That is where the cable casing usually fails.

WDT79

Recruit
Re: 92 Cobra OMC - shifting issues

thanks Bruce...I'll check that out this weekend