150 mariner steering PULLS HARD TO RIGHT

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 21' skeeter bay with 150 mariner. Boat pulls really hard to the right and steering is very loose with a lot of play. I am positive it is not the skeg thing (steering fin) that you can adjust left or right. I was told it may be the bushings but I am not sure how to check them or if that is the cause. I had someone hold the steering wheel while I pushed and pulled on the motor and there was lots of play. I was wondering if I need a new steering system (hydro, no feedback, dual steering) or if my steering system is fine and it is something on the motor, like the bushings. And can I fix the bushings myself or is that hard?? Also if there is a way to check my steering system to make sure it is working properly. Its just killing me not being able to figure out this steering issue. I have driven a boat my exact size and I could steer with one finger going 45mph. In my boat, I am using all my strength to hold the steering wheel from spinning to the right and if I let go for a milisecond the boat with cut right all the way and I'll do a 360!!! Thanks for any help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 mariner steering PULLS HARD TO RIGHT

On the lower unit is a fin.
It's called a steering fin or anode.
From the back of the boat/motor.
If the boat pulls right, turn the fin to the right.
As far as being loose the bushings could be worn out.

My boat has twin motors and it was very hard to steer.
I tried a bunch of things and ended up with hydrolic steering.
It's expensive but necessary.

What year/model/serial# I might have a steering part you can use to convert your steering.
Post a few pics and send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a pic.J