carb kit and tune up

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to be freshening my carburetor(mercarb 2 barrell), and Im just curious to hear anyones opinions on different kit manufacturers. I have used Sierra before (different carb) and was fine but wonder if there is any difference in Sierra, vs GLM vs Merc kits?

Same with ignition wires and cap/rotor kits. Looking to replace all just not sure if some are better than others.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: carb kit and tune up

Last carb kit I used was Merc and I was happy with the quality of parts. The aftermarket brands may work, but if the price is within $20 I'd go OEM. As far as ignition wire and cap/rotor I have used the marine line of NAPA with no issues.,

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OEM for me, most of the time!
Unless going to upgraded aftermarket. :eek:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Post engine year and model and I'll post up Merc numbers for you... I only use OEM, been bitten a few too many times with cheap, crappy, low quality after-market rubbish.... Especially if you're only saving a few dollars, just not worth the ball-ache...

Chris....

kenny80

Seaman Apprentice

i just got a napa rebuild kit, and was very happy with all it included. $67

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a kit that comes with both styles of accelerator pumps. Came with pretty much everything I needed, however If I had the older style carb I would have been missing the screen under the pump and a new clip. Other than that its a complete kit. The only thing I didnt like was how some parts were put in bags that didnt really go together. You would have thought all the parts for the needle and seat would be in one bag, and all the parts for the acc. pump check valve in one bag, etc. Not the case with mine, made it difficult for a first timer like me to cifer which parts go with what.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22082482290...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_720wt_1110

I would suggest going with OEM, I only ordered this because I was unsure of what I had and my carb serial number wouldnt match up with any kits online. Being this was universal, I figured it had a good shot of being what I needed and it did.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 2000 with a 5.0 alpha one.

I have the seirra number 18-7098, for the carb kit. Looks like its around 50$, not sure about the merc?

I actually was thinking about getting a set of MSD street fire or similar universal wires and cutting them to fit. It seems like on cars all the standard sets always have one or 2 that are either way to long or just barely long enough and that drives me nuts. Unless someone can verify that the sierra or merc numbers are an exact fit.