Re 1990 90 hp Yamaha outboard motor 90TRP

jwb1

Recruit
Just below the water line there is a 5 inch by 3 inch plate/cover on each side which attaches by a single screw at the back and a lip at the front. They are not watertight and do not seem to cover any moving parts. Due to corrosion one plate will not lock on the front and although the screw at the back holds it on, it flops around. I am thinking the only purpose is decorative and I can continue to use the motor with plate removed. Hoping someone can advise me.

thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Re 1990 90 hp Yamaha outboard motor 90TRP

Those are the water intake screens and they need to be there to keep seaweed, rocks, debris out of your water pump. Maybe you can locate some new or used replacements. Probably best not to operate the motor much without these screens in place. Good Luck!:)

robert graham

Admiral

Or it may be those covers for the black rubber motor mounts....a photo would be helpful. If it's those motor mount covers then I'm confident they're just cosmetic and not required to run the motor. Thanks!

jwb1

Recruit

Or it may be those covers for the black rubber motor mounts....a photo would be helpful. If it's those motor mount covers then I'm confident they're just cosmetic and not required to run the motor. Thanks!

yes, they must be motor mount covers, definitely not the water intakes which I believe are located below these plates and have small slits. these are solid covers even thought clearly they were never designed to keep water out (open gap at front).

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral

You can just remove them and forget it, or try and find replacements....