Shear pins for 3 HP Sea King

I have a 1957 3 HP Sea King (Montogomery Ward Gale Outboard division) purchased in 2008. Since time of purchase I have been using make shift shear pins such as 10-32 screws. Needles to say this hasn't worked well for me in that I spend more time replacing shearn pins than fishing.
Does anyone out ther know the diameter and length required for this motor and a possible source for the pins?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shear pins for 3 HP Sea King

Are you certain that it is a 1957? A 10-32 screw shouldn't fit through the hole in a 1957 prop shaft. Anyhoo---

1957 Sea King (model GG9006A), and newer, takes the same DRIVE pin as a Johnson or Evinrude, part number 203230. You can get them from any Evinrude dealer. Or you can make your own. It is 1/8" diameter X 13/16" long, Stainless Steel.

1956 Sea King (model GG9008A) and older takes a SHEAR pin part number 029210, which is listed as No Longer Available. So you will have to make your own. Sorry, that page is missing from my book so I don't have the size and material specs.

A bit of explaination: The DRIVE pin is used with a splined rubber ring in the propeller. The rubber absorbs the impact of hitting underwater objects and the stainless drive pin normally doesn't shear. The SHEAR pin used in older models is used with a straight drive propeller with no rubber ring. As said, I don't have the specs, but is is supposed to shear if you hit something.

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tennessee, if it's like the little guy in my photo, I'll check dimensions for you towards the end of the week. It's unlikely to have an ID number on it, but I can do a quick file test to guesstimate hardness. I don't know my model number offhand, but I'll check it against F_R's details to see if I can help. If you find something out before then, let us know...

Chip

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0

Are you certain that it is a 1957? A 10-32 screw shouldn't fit through the hole in a 1957 prop shaft. Anyhoo---

1957 Sea King (model GG9006A), and newer, takes the same DRIVE pin as a Johnson or Evinrude, part number 203230. You can get them from any Evinrude dealer. Or you can make your own. It is 1/8" diameter X 13/16" long, Stainless Steel.

1956 Sea King (model GG9008A) and older takes a SHEAR pin part number 029210, which is listed as No Longer Available. So you will have to make your own. Sorry, that page is missing from my book so I don't have the size and material specs.

A bit of explaination: The DRIVE pin is used with a splined rubber ring in the propeller. The rubber absorbs the impact of hitting underwater objects and the stainless drive pin normally doesn't shear. The SHEAR pin used in older models is used with a straight drive propeller with no rubber ring. As said, I don't have the specs, but is is supposed to shear if you hit something.

Thanks for the info. I am sure that it is a 1957 model GG9006A. My mechanical ability being limited I'm not sure of the 10-32, I do know it approximated 1/8 inch. Based on your input and my thoughts I have ordered from on line Leather Boat House 1/8 x 7/8 steel pins.