Advance Throttle Only Button...

TysonM

Recruit
Hello!

We just bought out first boat - a 2000 Crownline 180br with a Mercruiser 3.0. Everything appears to be working well, but the Advance Throttle Only button. I push it, give the boat throttle, and the prop still spins. I've tried holding the button and not holding the button. Still, the prop spins. Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

Also, the last time we had the boat out, it took a few times to get it started. Then it ran pretty rough for the first few minutes. It was perfect after that. I'm thinking this is because I can't rev up the engine without the prop spinning.

This is our first boat (aside from a jetski). I really appreciate any help or advice!

Thank you!!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Advance Throttle Only Button...

What do you mean by "prop spinning"? Does it spin the same as if you just put it into gear normally, or does it just spin slowly? I only ask because the prop will normally spin slowly, even when in neutral, due to the fact that there are still moving shafts in the drive even when in neutral, which cause fluid to spin the propshaft. Otherwise, I'd think the control might need to be removed and repaired/replaced.

TysonM

Recruit

What do you mean by "prop spinning"? Does it spin the same as if you just put it into gear normally, or does it just spin slowly? I only ask because the prop will normally spin slowly, even when in neutral, due to the fact that there are still moving shafts in the drive even when in neutral, which cause fluid to spin the propshaft. Otherwise, I'd think the control might need to be removed and repaired/replaced.

Sorry - it's spinning as it normally would if I didn't push the button at all. So, that doesn't sound good... or cheap... Bummer!

Thank you!

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The prop will always spin slowly when the engine is running even though the shift is in neutral.Its just small friction in the drive that keeps it rotating and since it has no resistance.In the water it will cause no propulsion by any means..It would take no force at all to stop the prop to keep it from spinning while in neutral.

With that said dont ever try it,for the sake of your health if it would for some mysterious way get into gear.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I assume that when you push the button and advance the throttle it will not turn over when you hit the start switch. It may not be that bad. When you push the control forward it rotates a shaft that does two things, it advances the throttle and it moves the shift cable putting the outdrive in gear. It does this by rotating two levers, one attached to the throttle the other attached to the shift. When you push the throttle only button it slides a shaft with a notch in it which allows a pin to move and disengage the shift lever. It is probably just in need of a good lube job. do you know which throttle you have, a photo would help.