Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 First time Owner. Please Help.

I bought my first boat ever last week and it came equipped with an Evinrude Sportwin 9.5. I've had it out twice now. I know I need a new kill switch but what else should I do for upkeep. I am brand new at this and clueless. Thanks!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 First time Owner. Please Help.

Make sure to use fresh gas, proper oil mixture, 50;1.
Make sure the lower unit is full of oil, no water.
Make sure to keep an eye on the cooling system, if not sure when the pump was replaced, replace it.
Check the plugs every once and a while, keep them in good shape and clean.
Repair as necessary.

jbjennings

Captain

Put a brand new pull cord on it. If the rope breaks, it will probably break the recoil spring. If I recall, some of those springs are $85 new---can't remember if your model has the high dollar spring. I'd replace the fuel lines with alcohol resistant ones, and the stuff mentioned in the last post. I'd also rock the powerhead back and forth and see how much slack is in the mounts. THere should be some, but if it's really sloppy you probably have a bad motor mount.
Just some ideas,
JBJ

Rick.

Captain

Great advice above. Regarding the kill switch if it isn't working I've pulled the rubber off and cleaned the contacts and all is well. If that doesn't work consider a sea dog lanyard kill switch replacement. Fits the same hole. Best of luck. Rick.

Thanks Everyone! I purchased the Sea-Dog Universal Kill Switch and it should be here today. Anyone have some simple tips for wiring it?

jbjennings

Captain

THere should be a pair of black wires coming from under the flywheel going to the old kill switch. All the button does is complete the circuit when pushed and shorts out the points. If you don't have the two wires, then run one wire from one set of points, and another from the other. Wire them to the button and you're done. There should be a hole in the armature plate for the wires to pass through. I'd put some heat shrink on the pair to prevent chaffing through the insulation. Make sure the wires aren't rubbing anywhere thoughout the travel of the throttle/armature plate.
JBJ

Norsman 1

Recruit

Glad to find this thread as I just got one this spring so I am following it.
What is the right size prop for this motor?

I bought my first boat ever last week and it came equipped with an Evinrude Sportwin 9.5. I've had it out twice now. I know I need a new kill switch but what else should I do for upkeep. I am brand new at this and clueless. Thanks!

OK stupid question. How do I change the oil?

jbjennings

Captain

2 flathead screws on the lower unit, one just below the cav. plate, the other at the bottom of the lower unit. DO NOT remove the phillips head screw!!!
Fill from the bottom hole.

Turbotech71

Recruit

I have a 1965 Sportwin and have put a new impellar and waterpump housing into it. I have also put a new fuel pump and hoses on it. I have installed a rebuilt carberator and it idles, runs, and shifts wonderfully.....but theres a catch it only runs great with the engine cover off....Once you place it on and turn the latch it shutters and runs rough. I have checked a million times to see if its hitting something but doesnt appear to be....Am I missing something?

jbjennings

Captain

the 9.5's can be bad about developing exhaust leaks. That is likely your problem. THe seals are not fun to change. It could also be as simple as a plug wire shorting out on the latch, or if you're running it in a barrel the fumes are killing it. If it runs badly at the lake unless the cover is off, you probably have an exhaust leak putting fumes in the cowl.
GOod luck with it.
BTW, try to start your own thread since posting your question on someone else's thread is considered bad forum etiquette.
Later,
JBJ

Last edited: