Which tilt/trim assembly do I have?

MyDistraction

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson 112 SPL. The model number is XJ112SXED.

But I can't find that specific model listed on sites like http://shop2.evinrude.com.

I'm trying to reseal the main tilt hydraulic cylinder. The problem is when I go to the evinrude shop, the diagram they show for the 112s in 1996 don't match what I physically have.

I have three hyrdraulic cylinders...one main one that does the tilt up and down, and the two, smaller,angled cylinders with rams that are free-floating (not attached to the engine).

The diagrams that I find for the 112 don't show the angled cylinders. But if I check like a later model 115 (which is what the 112 is, minus the oil injection), I do find diagrams that show that.

Since the entire tilt/trim assembly can be detached separately from the engine, this makes me wonder if somehow when I bought it, the dealer sold me a 1996 112 with a 115 tilt/trim assembly.

Anyway, my main question is this: I'm trying to find the seal kit for the MAIN tilt cylinder, and I'm not sure which one to order.

Thanks for your help!!

jc turtle

Seaman
Re: Which tilt/trim assembly do I have?

Hi, the cylinder is on the left side of the illustration. I have found the pictures to be very generic. They
use the same pictures for many years, but the parts should be correct. Hope this helps.
Check your motor model # again to make sure you have it written down correctly. John

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"The diagrams that I find for the 112 don't show the angled cylinders."

MyDistraction, the BRP diagram for your motor does not specifically show the angled cylinder side of the TnT body. But if you look closely at the assembly direction and parts list it does indicate that there are two "trim" cylinders and they are in fact angled.
I guess the big difference between the model# you referenced and the same year 115hp TnT unit is the orientation of the pump and reservoir to each other and the overall look of the main body.
Maybe you can decipher which one you have from the two diagrams.

hidef

Lieutenant

Your 112 is a 90* V4 crossflow block and uses Tilt and Trim unit designed for those outboards. The link I have inclosed shows this system one tilt piston and two trim pistons. Your engine use the older design that OMC used for 30 plus years. The 115 you referenced uses a newer design. The drawing doesn't show the tilted pistons but they are. Look closely at how the pump sits in the frame.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...on&section=Power+Trim/tilt+Hydraulic+Assembly

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 1996 Johnson 112 SPL. The model number is XJ112SXED.

But I can't find that specific model listed on sites like http://shop2.evinrude.com.

I'm trying to reseal the main tilt hydraulic cylinder. The problem is when I go to the evinrude shop, the diagram they show for the 112s in 1996 don't match what I physically have.

I have three hyrdraulic cylinders...one main one that does the tilt up and down, and the two, smaller,angled cylinders with rams that are free-floating (not attached to the engine).

The diagrams that I find for the 112 don't show the angled cylinders. But if I check like a later model 115 (which is what the 112 is, minus the oil injection), I do find diagrams that show that.

Since the entire tilt/trim assembly can be detached separately from the engine, this makes me wonder if somehow when I bought it, the dealer sold me a 1996 112 with a 115 tilt/trim assembly.

Anyway, my main question is this: I'm trying to find the seal kit for the MAIN tilt cylinder, and I'm not sure which one to order.

Thanks for your help!!

I go and i see a three piston TNT unit under your motors model number..... they had two syatems i believe....one they called FASTRAK which came on ocean runners and intruders ...but niot on the crossflow motors like yours...

your should have been an older style larger bodied. three piston design TNT....

it is best if you take a picture of what you actually have, and we can tell you what style it is to look for parts for it.

bob