drive shaft too tight?

bob.nordby

Cadet
I completed a seal kit on my 1988 50hp evinrude. I can easily turn the drive shaft by hand but as I tighten down the water pump it starts to get more and more difficult to turn by hand. Should it be this hard to turn?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: drive shaft too tight?

Did you lube the impeller and hsg before installing it ?? Is it assembled correctly ??

bob.nordby

Cadet

Did you lube the impeller and hsg before installing it ?? Is it assembled correctly ??

I lubed the impeller but I guess i'll have to take it apart and check that I did that right. Thanks

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boobie, do you think that he might have let the key get out the bottom of the impeller causing things to bind up when he tightens down? i know just the friction of the rubber should snug up all the free play in the shaft but if it is getting worse when you tighten the bolts then something is out of whack. also wondering if the impeller is too tall or something

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

somethings not right.if you not sure if its the water pump then remove impellar, and reassemble if it spins smoothly then double check your parts and procedure. if its getting hard as you tighten some thing is binding. i went back and re-read op. it will get harder to turn as you tighten ,but if you can still turn with grease hands it should be alright, was there anything wrong with old impellar you could put it back in and see how much drag is on that one

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Could you have mis-seated the gasket or something else? If so then the pump housing could sit at an angle so when you tighten it down the housing could be pressing against the drive shaft. Just a thought. I don't have an open one in front of me to see what the tolerances are.

bob.nordby

Cadet

Could you have mis-seated the gasket or something else? If so then the pump housing could sit at an angle so when you tighten it down the housing could be pressing against the drive shaft. Just a thought. I don't have an open one in front of me to see what the tolerances are.

Thanks every one for all the help. I lifted the impeller housing , checked for any damage and set it back down with a little more care. Everything seems to turn quited nicely now. Now if i can just find that leak in the boat.........