Old Style Regular Electric Shift Coils

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
In cleaning out my remaining stock, I came across a set of the electric shift coils which are/were used in the older electric shift models 40hp, 75hp etc from 1962 to somewhere in the early 1970s.

The reverse coil (short blue wire) has the same part number for all models, 40hp, 75hp, etc.

However, the forward coil (long green wire) has one part number for the 40hp and a different part number for the higher hp models (75hp, 90hp) and I cannot remember why. Is there a difference in the length of the green wire that results in this part number difference. I know that the slightest change results in a number change but I don't recall a wire length difference.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Style Regular Electric Shift Coils

Sorry Joe, I don't either. Maybe F_R will chime in. He may have an answer.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Boobie.... I remember that the 40hp skeg housing is smaller and since the reverse shift coil is identical, my line of thought is that the difference would be that the green shift wire would be a different length resulting in the different part number..... BUT I'd like to be sure. Somebody's memory out there has got to be better than mine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe, could be that the lower part of the g/c where the coils are was longer on the bigger hp's ? That sort of rings a bell with me too.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Joe, could be that the lower part of the g/c where the coils are was longer on the bigger hp's ? That sort of rings a bell with me too.

That thought crossed my mind also, BUT the forward hub and spring are identical on both horsepowers, however, the forward outside diameter of the coil could be different. I'll probably end up going over to one of the local marinas and check out their old used stock.