Do your locker locks have matching keys?

jd438

Seaman
I bought a 1998 Alumacraft Trophy last year, and all of the lockers have locks on them. I have a key that fits them, but I can't lock or unlock them. I was going to pull one and take it to a locksmith to have keys made. Would all of the lockers have matching keys? Should I just take all of them in?

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Do your locker locks have matching keys?

I'd expect the locks to all be keyed the same. Otherwise you'd need a key chain full of identical keys and you'd have to try each key until you found the right one. (Or mark each key and try to remember the code you used). The locks are replacable. A Previous owner (PO) could have lost the key(s) and simply bought a bunch of replacement locks. If you get a key for a single lock, there is no guaranteee it will fit other locks. You might want to get a locksmith onsite to assist with this issue. Utlimately, I'd prefer a single key open all the locker locks, but that's me.

If they are the stock locks then they should all be keyed the same. However, it's worth mentioning that the Alumacraft locks are pretty useless. It doesn't take a lot of strength to overpower those things and open the lockers. If you're going to spend money on a locksmith or new locks, you might as well look at improving the locks if you plan on keeping anything of real value in there!

jd438

Seaman

I would like to be able to lock up my electronics, poles, and tackle. Too much invested to leave unprotected. Any suggestions on upgraded locks? I think there are 4 or 5 places that I want locked.

Honestly I've never looked into upgrading them. I don't keep anything too valuable in the boat. My poles and reels are all $50 each, so not a disaster if somebody steals them. Maybe I'll take a few minutes tonight to look at my locks to figure out why you can turn them even while locked. It may not be a lock issue, but the setup.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to an Alumacraft dealer for a key. Check the letter code on the face of the lock. If the letter is the same on all of them, one key will fit them all. They likely have whats called a "try-out" ring of keys. Siince there aren't that many keys, it would take five minutes to find the right one.