Best Email server?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I dumped Comcast Cable, TV and Telephone. Now Comcast has finally pulled the plug on my 20 year old email addy. I am still receiving email but I cannot send out. I have always accessed my Comcast Email thru Outlook Express but I could always go direct to the Comcast Email in the sky if I needed to access it from another location. Now I cannot log on to my old Comcast Email.

I need to open a new email account somewhere. I also want to have that email directed to Outlook Express. I tried to set up a Windows Live email but it would not let me use the name that I used with Comcast. I guess it was already taken. I then thought about Gmail but when I saw that it was a Google thing, I didn't like the idea about all the snooping that Google does.

Are there any other suggestions for Email Servers that don't have the reputation of Google?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Best Email server?

So, if you dumped comcast, how do you connect to the Internet and do things like post messages here?

If you have a new ISP, then they would have some email service (right?). You could try a free AOL account . . .

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I personally like hotmail the most. I used Gmail in the past but I didn't care for the interface, however if you plan on using outlook (outlook express is no longer supported in new OS's) anyway that bypasses my only complaint - that is if you can get the screen name you want. If you go with hotmail, they have a nice outlook connector package which makes connecting hotmail with outlook practically seamless.
After a quick "goole" search with not so surprising results, here are the top 5 free email providers:
•Gmail — 38.38%
•Mail.com and GMX Mail — 32.42%
•Yahoo! Mail — 16.06%
•Windows Live Hotmail — 8.72%
•AIM Mail and AOL Mail — 4.43%

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

So, if you dumped comcast, how do you connect to the Internet and do things like post messages here?

If you have a new ISP, then they would have some email service (right?). You could try a free AOL account . . .

I went with CenturyLink DSL. Centurylink does have email but I want to get an email server that is not tied with my ISP. It is a real pain to notify everyone of an addy change if you change ISPs.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

....I personally like hotmail the most......
To use hotmail you have to have a Windows Live password. My password of choice has apparently been already used there. I'll have to pick another provider and try to see if I can use my preferred.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have my own domain name with website. I just pick any username I want. I can use Outlook or a web based mail retrieval. I have changed ISPs countless times. I also use gmail and yahoo for any time I subscribe to something so most junk mail goes there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I use inbox.com and am pretty happy with it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I checked Inbox.com and their free email will send advertisements out with my emails.

Yeah. I pay $8 a year to get rid of that. I know there are plenty of free alternatives but for me it was worth it to be able to get jsykes & dsykes instead of jsykes8463648@gmail. They have a nice mobile version that works very well on my phone.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just checked and boomyal.com is available. :)

You don't have to have a website and you can just use it for email. Just need to pay a hosting fee for the email server.

FWIW... I use gmail and yahoo POP forwarded to MS Outlook. No issues. Don't care about snooping...none of my info is real. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just checked and boomyal.com is available. :)

You don't have to have a website and you can just use it for email. Just need to pay a hosting fee for the email server.

Who do you do that thru? That'd be kinda fun.

mscher

Lieutenant

I've used hotmail for 10 years.

Seems to get the job done - for free.

If there are ads on the interface pages, I don't notice them. ;)