New prop doesn't clear Trim Tab

jd438

Seaman
Here's what I have. 1998 Mariner 135 hp Optimax motor. Current prop, is original aluminum Black max 48-832830-c1-19. I went through Mercury prop selector and came up with Mercury Tempest Plus 48-825862-21p based on what I entered. I put on the prop and it doesn't clear my trim tab. Is there a different trim tab I should use? Why wouldn't this clear?

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New prop doesn't clear Trim Tab

Are you sure you mean the "trim tab"? Post a photo of this problem and I think you'll get a lot more responses.

I had a very similiar problem, but it wasn't the "trim tab" it was my skeg on the lower housing of my outdrive. I switched from an aluminum prop to a stainless steel prop and there was a size difference. I had to take my 4" grinder and cut a small notch on the foreside of the skeg. It's not even noticeable. The skeg was solid aluminum so this was very easy to correct without worrying about damaging the outdrive.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Props with lots of rake have trim tab clearance problems, two solutions 1: a flat trim anode, but this only works with power steering, 2: an anode with the trim fin extended aft, your dealer should have either or both.

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. change prop for more middle of the road performance.
not just neck snappin hole shot. maybe more top end

2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. High 5 19 pitch

3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). 13.25 I THINK 19 pitch

4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) 4800 when it hits rev limiter

5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP Mercruiser 2009 4.3 220 hp w/ alpha 1 OD

6) Boat make model, year, length and weight Rinker 192 19.5 feet about 3000 lbs fully loaded