2001 Volvo 5.7 GSI - Stalls under load

LeChiffre

Recruit
I recently purchased a brokered 2001 boat from Connecticut (salt water) that had not been used for approximately 3 years. Prior to purchase I underwent a 30 min sea trial and high-level inspection with a boat mechanic in CT, at which point the boat was working fine. I was told that prior to my arrival the broker had also driven it twice to verify the "usable" / "sellable" condition. I left satisfied.

Upon getting the boat back to Chicago (fresh water) I added fresh fuel, and to my dismay my very first test drive was less than successful. After slowly driving out of the marina, and pushing the throttle down, the engine began to "bog" out. As I pulled back on the throttle the engine would give a little more power and then again begin to "bog" out. Since I've been back in fresh water, I have yet to get the boat to plane out.

I recently replaced the fuel filter and the initial issue still remains. I have been told by my mechanic (that underwent the initial sea trial with me) that it's most likely the fuel pump.

What's troubling me about this specific situation is that it worked fine out east and now it's malfunctioning... Nothing has changed between then and now. Could it coincidentally (would be awful luck) be the fuel pump, YES... but, I'd like to hear if anyone has additional input or suggestions considering the boat was not used for the three years prior to purchase??

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 Volvo 5.7 GSI - Stalls under load

If the fuel has seperated and you have water in the fuel you may go throuh a lot of filters not to mention trailering the boat mixed up all the dirt in the tank. If you have water in the carb, that will need to be cleaned out also. you may want to try a remote tank with fresh gas before trying a new fuel pump. you can also dump the fuel from the carb to bypass a rebuild.

LeChiffre

Recruit

If the fuel has seperated and you have water in the fuel you may go throuh a lot of filters not to mention trailering the boat mixed up all the dirt in the tank. If you have water in the carb, that will need to be cleaned out also. you may want to try a remote tank with fresh gas before trying a new fuel pump. you can also dump the fuel from the carb to bypass a rebuild.

Great suggestion. The boat is EFI so no carb, but running fuel from an alt source could definitely clear up the bad fuel possibility

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

With the efi I would suggest adding injector cleaner to the remote tank. You can also get a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pump. If your boat is obdII (im not sure) get a code reader and check for computer trouble codes stored.

LeChiffre

Recruit

Already added injector cleaner to the tank it's drawing from. At this point it would have circulated through. Maybe it'd make sense to do this from the reserve tank as well.

Additionally, there's a "whine" coming from the fuel pump. I've heard this could be because the fuel pump isn't getting enough oxygen? Any thoughts? I'm running these tests this evening so any advice today is greatly appreciated.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Already added injector cleaner to the tank it's drawing from. At this point it would have circulated through. Maybe it'd make sense to do this from the reserve tank as well.

Additionally, there's a "whine" coming from the fuel pump. I've heard this could be because the fuel pump isn't getting enough oxygen? Any thoughts? I'm running these tests this evening so any advice today is greatly appreciated.

Yes the reserve tank as well. Therfore you KNOW you are getting it good fuel (NOT ethonal and 89octane or higher...i have the same motor) along with seafoam or the likes cleaning your engine fuel system. No doubt it sounds like a fuel starvation issue. As for the fuel pump can you tell which one it is, high pressure or low pressure? You are going to need an assistant figuring that out as they are right next to each other. As for the whine...i dont recall mine making a whine???...except of course when clicking the key on and i hear it prime. Keep us updated...best of luck!

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to check the pressure of the pumps (there are two on that fuel cell assembly) with a pressure gauge. If it wasn't used for a few years all the old gas would have turned to varnish, crystalized, and left lots of nasty stuff in the pump that it probably gumming up the works. Fresh gas would have worked long enough to get more of the dried up gunk in the inlets of the pumps. Everyone has the right idea, check it with an external tank with good gas, but you need to do a pressure check also.

Redpony

Cadet

I recently purchased a brokered 2001 boat from Connecticut (salt water) that had not been used for approximately 3 years. Prior to purchase I underwent a 30 min sea trial and high-level inspection with a boat mechanic in CT, at which point the boat was working fine. I was told that prior to my arrival the broker had also driven it twice to verify the "usable" / "sellable" condition. I left satisfied.

Upon getting the boat back to Chicago (fresh water) I added fresh fuel, and to my dismay my very first test drive was less than successful. After slowly driving out of the marina, and pushing the throttle down, the engine began to "bog" out. As I pulled back on the throttle the engine would give a little more power and then again begin to "bog" out. Since I've been back in fresh water, I have yet to get the boat to plane out.

I recently replaced the fuel filter and the initial issue still remains. I have been told by my mechanic (that underwent the initial sea trial with me) that it's most likely the fuel pump.

What's troubling me about this specific situation is that it worked fine out east and now it's malfunctioning... Nothing has changed between then and now. Could it coincidentally (would be awful luck) be the fuel pump, YES... but, I'd like to hear if anyone has additional input or suggestions considering the boat was not used for the three years prior to purchase??

I have had the exact same problem with my Volvo 5.7 GXi and the "whine" sound is comeing from the high pressure pump inlet screen blocked with a brown material that is blocking the inlet screen which is causing starvation to the fuel injectors. It is caused by the ethanol/gas in your fuel tank that may be deteriorating your fuel tank. I ended up changing the fuel pump assembly on my Volvo GXi and now I drain my fuel tank completely if I am not using the boat. Additionally, I installed an inlet filter prior to the fuel pump assembly for added protection. This is a huge problem our own government has done to the boating community.

LeChiffre

Recruit

Problem solved. Replaced the fuel cell ($700) and the engine runs great. No longer any issues.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions!