Over-charging

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've read a few posts reguarding my issue and will follow the advice given: battery condition, connections, wiring, etc. Since my outboard (1985 I6, 90hp) doesn't have a regulator built into the design, I'm wondering if I could add a universal 12v regulator? I've done this in the past when converting 6v systems to 12v on motorcycles without a battery. These systems used the headlight and tail lights to regulate to 6v. When one bulb blew due to age or vibration, the voltage spike would pop all remaining bulbs.

I've seen the Merc reg/rec combo selling for >$100 and that just seems silly to me. My rectifier is working as intended, so I don't need to replace it. The regulator I used in my previous example was a $12 universal 2-wire unit. One wire taps into the charge lead, the other to a ground......nice and simple. Considering that the vibrations and operating ranges are roughly equal (2-8000rpm), is there any real benefit to spending the big bucks over what I have used in the past?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Over-charging

Sounds like your universal regulator was something like a zener diode. I used a 12V Zener Diode on a dirtbike that I converted from 6V to 12V.

Your charging system on that Merc is only 9A or so. If you could find a 14V Zener, that may be a failsafe-type device for you.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard of the zener before, but have never seen one. This is what I had on the bike:
12v.jpg

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to mention that I could bounce that ol' XR350R on the rev limiter all day (8500rpm) and the stator never put out more than 12.4v with this regulator installed. No rectifier on that bike because it didn't have a battery, so no need to convert from AC to DC voltage. If I can find another one for the outboard, I just may give it a whirl. If it fails, worst case is that I'll see it on the gauge. I watch those religiously when cruising the lakes.