couple of newbie questions

Jeepersheart

Cadet
I have an 83 25hp johnson model J25RLCTE fires up in less then 3 pulls everytime, and runs strong. the only issue I have right now is that there seems to be a good amount of movement in the throttle before the linkage engages is that normal? the slop appears to be in the small gears at the end of the tiller handle, but once the gears make contact the linkage is tight internally (sorry if my terminology makes no sense I can get pics once the weather clears if needed). I would like to change the lower unit lube I have read a nice write up on here and seems easy enough, my only question is what kind of lube do I use to fill? is it like a car where the weight of the oil maters, or is lower unit lube all the same? other then that and is there anything else i should change or check to avoid problems? the water pump and impeller will have to wait till I get my hands on a good manual. like I said Im new to these motors so if those are some dumb question sorry and thanx for the help : )

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: couple of newbie questions

Use lower unit oil for marine applications, not 80w90 for a car. The marine oil has additves for water intrusion. On the gears being a bit sloppy, i`m not sure, it could be just the way it is.

jasper60103

Commander

If you want, I have the lower unit section of the OMC service manual.
That would help you with the water pump.
PM me your email address and I can send you a copy.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

After 29 yrs a little slop is normal. If everything is working okay, use it.

JDusza

Ensign

Fortunately, it's all good.
Unfortunately, Evinrude had a design problem with those throttle adjustment links from day one; those "spin-the-plastic-knob-on-the-side" adjusters. They suck. I have worked on dozens and have never had one of those idle speed adjusters engage as expected.
Forget about it, run it, get used to the feel of the throttle and have fun.

Jeepersheart

Cadet

I knkw not to use automotive oil for a marine engine i guess i should have asked are there different weights of lower unit lube or is it all the same? Jasper that would be awesome and very helpful... PM inbound.