The axle on my light trailer is completely rusted ( w/ pics)... what are my options?

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I bought a 14ft aluminum boat in the fall of last year (1959 Alumacraft FDR), and this trailer came with it. All I know about the trailer is that its from the same era as the boat. The trailer is a little rough, but certainly solid--except the axle. As you can see in the pictures below, the axle is rusted to the point where I believe it is unsalvageable.

Trailer04.jpgTrailer05.jpgTrailer06.jpg

The axle appears to be a combination of a squared tube with rounded corners over an "I" beam turned on its side (I am NOT an expert in this area, i'm just describing what it looks like:facepalm:). As you can see, the passenger side of what I am calling the 'squared tube' has suffered extensive rusting--to the point where half of it is missing, and there is a gap on one of the corners where the axle attaches to the springs. Basically, my assumption is it is not safe to use the trailer as it currently is. (right?)

Basically I need to know the most cost effective way to make this safe. I am not concerned with ascetics at all, I am looking to keep it simple, inexpensive, functional, and above all--safe. Luckily, my boat's total weight including motor is only about 500-600lbs.

I did take some crude measurements (wasn't even sure what to measure... again:facepalm:), but the length from the outside of the left spring to the outside of the right spring is 42", and the length between the wheel hubs is 47".

Can I use a simple replacement like this?? http://www.easternmarine.com/49-square-galvanized-trailer-axle-1200-lb-46032

Any help that you folks can give would be great. I can take any photo's or measurements that you think may help and post them here. THANKS!! :D:D:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: The axle on my light trailer is completely rusted ( w/ pics)... what are my optio

Sorry but my opinion is that axle needs to be scrapped. A new axle with hubs will be around $200.00 shipped if bought online. Options are watch local adds or graigslist for a used axle or used trailer. I see trailers listed here locally for free many times as long as you also take the derelict boat that is still sitting on it.

There are a good number of trailer parts dealers online that will give you the measurements that are needed to order a new axle. It would be much easier to visit them than for me to try and explain it. They are very clear and also provide pictures.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The axle on my light trailer is completely rusted ( w/ pics)... what are my optio

Looks to me like it's time for a new axle. The link you posted seems to be a good one too show you where to measure so you get one that fits.
Good luck

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured that axle was trashed... if it had only minimal rust, I would look to reinforce. That looks waaaay beyond minimal.

Unfortunately, trailers--even the cheapest ones on craigslist--are all $250ish range. I see the "Buy the trailer, get the boat free" ads all the time... for $250-$400. I found some used trailer axles on a listing about a hour away... they want $200 each for them. If I wasn't pressed for time, I would sit and wait and find something I could make work for a deal... But I'm looking to get my boat on the water by Memorial Day weekend, and I still have 30+ hours of building/fabricating on the boat to do, and I have to have the trailer operable to start on the boat.

I believe the axle in the link that I posted is the correct length. What would it take to make that one work?

Or perhaps one like this? http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Spring-Trailer-Axle-Pattern/dp/B001MX22J6/ref=sr_1_17?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1335128538&sr=1-17

I figure since I need to be able to work on this next weekend to stay on track, I may have to buy new.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Given the prices your finding on used axles new is the only way to go. They really are not that expensive and than your good to go.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Try www.abctrailerparts.com Great prices and the guy will really help make sure you get what you want. He had mine out to me within 4 days of calling.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

yes , you have gotten all of the good out of that one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a Tractor Supply local to you? I got a complete axle there for my trailer for a VERY reasonable price.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tractor supply doesn't carry the four lug axle (I'm assuming this is the wheel pattern that you have). I went through the same dilemma last summer when my john boat trailer axle snapped in half. Axles can be really expensive and i just welded mine back after seeing the prices but the link to abc has some real good prices. After i finish my fiberglass boat rest i will be welding a new axle for my boat out of 2 inch square stainless pipe

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I agree that its a good idea to replace the axle but I will go one step further and have the springs replaced as well, cheap insurance for making your trailer safe and its likely to make the swap easier as well.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so I bought a 14ft aluminum boat in the fall of last year (1959 Alumacraft FDR), and this trailer came with it. All I know about the trailer is that its from the same era as the boat. The trailer is a little rough, but certainly solid--except the axle. As you can see in the pictures below, the axle is rusted to the point where I believe it is unsalvageable.

View attachment 142345View attachment 142346View attachment 142347

The axle appears to be a combination of a squared tube with rounded corners over an "I" beam turned on its side (I am NOT an expert in this area, i'm just describing what it looks like:facepalm:). As you can see, the passenger side of what I am calling the 'squared tube' has suffered extensive rusting--to the point where half of it is missing, and there is a gap on one of the corners where the axle attaches to the springs. Basically, my assumption is it is not safe to use the trailer as it currently is. (right?)

Basically I need to know the most cost effective way to make this safe. I am not concerned with ascetics at all, I am looking to keep it simple, inexpensive, functional, and above all--safe. Luckily, my boat's total weight including motor is only about 500-600lbs.

I did take some crude measurements (wasn't even sure what to measure... again:facepalm:), but the length from the outside of the left spring to the outside of the right spring is 42", and the length between the wheel hubs is 47".

Can I use a simple replacement like this?? http://www.easternmarine.com/49-square-galvanized-trailer-axle-1200-lb-46032

Any help that you folks can give would be great. I can take any photo's or measurements that you think may help and post them here. THANKS!! :D:D:D

Its nickle and dime stuff but, I sold a boat and on the way down the road the spindle broke off..... So i had a new axle made by a local trailer/hitch guy...$125 complete. Spending $200 beats having to do it after you break down on the side of the road.