I wish to introduce myself

carterslade

Cadet
Hello, I am carterslade. I have recently purchased a 14 ft. lakeflite fishing boat with a 40 hp. evinrude motor. The boat was owned by an elderly neighbor and has set for two years. I have had it out twice and found the bugs and other gremlins that come with buying an used boat that has set for an extended time. First off the water expel line was stopped up. Paper clip unstopped it. Next no power. Found screw had dropped out of linkage to top carb. Got that taken care of. Next water went from flow to a trickle then stopped. Ok, the impeller probably needs replaced. I can do that. Wrong!?! I have the bolts out of the lower unit and it dropped down about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Ok, hummm....... call buddy. He says to take shift linkage loose. This is where my confusion goes into overdrive. I have two cables coming in on the side of the motor. I know one is throttle and one is shift. Where is the shift linkage that I am suppose to take loose. The motor is a 40 hp e40eccs. I have looked a diagrams on the i-net and have a book ordered that I will pick up tomorrow. thanks

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I wish to introduce myself

look where linkage is under carbs should be pin that you remove for shift not familar with that motor but thats where you will find it

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1988 40hp Evinrude.

Look at the shift linkage on the starboard (right) side of the powerhead.... the portion of the linkage rod just before it goes into the nylon bushing near the intake manifold. There is a large clip pin that goes thru it. Remove that clip pin, then push the linkage rod towards the other side of the engine. This will cause the shift pin to slide out of the shift clevis and shift rod that exists under and in back of the bottom craburetor. You can now drop the lower unit if it hasn't fell on your foot already.

carterslade

Cadet

thanks for the responses. Lol. the sad part is I had diagrams but didn`t understand them. I can be a mite dense and slow at times. I kept tellin my wife to run that by me kinda slow and barefoot one more time. Might be why I`m divorced today. I ain`t complainin though. Now I don`t gotta ask nobody but me if I can go fishin.

carterslade

Cadet

Well I took the lower carb off to get to the linkage screw below it. I must say that it is in a very convenient location. I still have not been able to get a wrench on it enough to turn it. I also tried to remove the large retaining pin on the side of the linkage. I can get it about half way out then stuff gets in the way. I am fairly sure I can get the screw out with the proper wrench. My concern now is can I put it back. this is going to get interesting.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Yes, that area was not well-designed for maintenance at all...:(

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You better read post # 4 again. It's just a matter of removing that clip and pushing the shift arm to port. No carb remove, no tools required except a pair of pliers !! O'Well.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Well I took the lower carb off to get to the linkage screw below it. I must say that it is in a very convenient location. I still have not been able to get a wrench on it enough to turn it. I also tried to remove the large retaining pin on the side of the linkage. I can get it about half way out then stuff gets in the way. I am fairly sure I can get the screw out with the proper wrench. My concern now is can I put it back. this is going to get interesting.

Someday you're going to pay attention to what I have to say. You just went to a hellava lot of work for nothing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

All you had to do was shift it and " all that stuff" wouldn't have been in the way.

carterslade

Cadet

ok, It is fixed. Impeller looked new, housing spotless, cup spotless, put back together. Put the muff on her and she works great. Idles a bit rough but I think that will clear up. I guess it is my lot in life to do things the hard way. Nothing ever came or comes easy for me. I want to thank you for your information and patience. I am sure I will be trying your patience again as time goes along. By the way my official rank in the military was P.L.O.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear you got it back together and running okay. Patience is something that we in the outboard trade have plenty of so feel free to pull on it. I also was in the military but the P.L.O escapes me.