Battery/Battery Charger Help

jmeny

Seaman
I have an electric start '85 johnson (J25elcoc) that I put a new starter in recently. When I turn the key now, the bendix pops up but doesn't appear to have the juice to turn the flywheel. I tried two different batteries (everstart 27s) and both do the same (they both run lights and other accessories, but I assume that's because they draw much less amp.). I went to get them load tested to see if they were any good (they are at least a few years old now) and they read out at 12.35 v/537 cca and 12.58 v/485 cca. I don't know enough about batteries to know if these readings are high enough for my needs, and the guy at aap couldn't tell me either. Trying to get some feedback as to whether I need a new battery or if there is some other issue here.

Also, as an aside, should I be using some particular kind of deep cycle charger after each use? I currently have a basic vector 2/4/6 amp charger that I try to run at the 2 amp charge after each use.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Joe

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Battery/Battery Charger Help

A small outboard doesn't need a lot of juice to crank so I suspect a bad connection somewhere. All connections have to be shiny clean as well as tight.

It's also possible the starter is bad right out of the box.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes more than likely it is a connection problem. First I would take apart each one and polish it no matter how good it looks and run a started solenoid test. It sounds like it is not getting the amps it needs to spin the starter.

jmeny

Seaman

Ok, that was my suspicion even though I thought I double-checked all connections. I'll clean em up again and see what happens, plus try a battery that i know has know issues starting another engine of a friend of mine. Thanks

jmeny

Seaman

So I cleaned all connections and tested it with a battery that I know starts up another engine, got more of the same. Bendix pops up, turns flywheel very slowly in spurts. Starter also seems to get very warm. Every once in a while (very infrequently) it will randomly turn over and start like it's supposed to.

So I guess my next step is doing a started solenoid test? I've never done one before so wouldn't know where to begin - is there a good sticky or website I can read to figure out how to do it? Any other ideas in the meantime as to what might be causing this would be much appreciated...this is getting pretty frustrating.

Thanks,
Joe

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Not sure if their is a sticky on it or not, more than likely their is,

The proper test is to disconnect the power wire going to the starter from the solenoid and have some one help you by turning the key to start position and read the ohms across the power terminals on the solenoid. It should read 0 ohms. It should have no Resistance. As the contacts wear and get bad the ohm value will increase and the amp flow across will decrease. The ever now and then it start sounds like ever now and then the contact are making good contact.

A lot of people will use these tests also. If you have a battery switch you can take the wire that goes to the starter and connect it to the other power terminal on the solenoid this is often the hot wire directly from the battery and use the battery switch to try and turn the starter around. this by passes the solenoid.

And the last one is to use a screw driver to jump it directly across power terminals at the solenoid. This is a very dangerous way to test it will produce sparks and arc marks on the terminals and if their is any gas fumes it may very well set the motor on fire.

I had to go through it my self at the start of the season. My started would kick in about ever fourth try. But 90 % of the time it is a bad connection and not a part.