i just got my boat home and started tinkering

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My new project is home and I need some help identifying this outdrive. I know its a mercruiser. I'm very new at this.

The engine and outdrive looks extremely bad. is this recoverable? everything turns over and looks like it's in bad shape. thanks!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: i just got my boat home and started tinkering

could I use this on the yokes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1wicul400

My yokes can either be sand blasted or wire brushed. they're rusted pretty bad. They still turn. Any thoughts? I would like to save them as they cost 800 bucks new.

Bondo

Staff member

could I use this on the yokes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1wicul400

My yokes can either be sand blasted or wire brushed. they're rusted pretty bad. They still turn. Any thoughts? I would like to save them as they cost 800 bucks new.

Ayuh,... It appears you have a very early model MC-1 drive, 'n a 2.5l or 3.0l motor....
Whether they'll live again, or not is yer to be seen... atleast you can get parts for 'em....

That rust removal thing for the yokes is a Waste,...
The outside of the yokes are irrelevant,... In internal workin' surfaces are what counts...

rickryder

Commander

Looks like your in for a complete resto on that! When ya get done figuring out the motor and drive start a post in the resto section on getting the hull in order ;) Good luck!

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im taking the motor out and going to restore it in my garage as its in need of tlc also. This motor was out of a truck. the original mercruiser engine seized and he had it replaced with this one. Other than a longer dipstick to remove the oil, is there any other differences that i need to check to make sure it will work? Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member

im taking the motor out and going to restore it in my garage as its in need of tlc also. This motor was out of a truck. the original mercruiser engine seized and he had it replaced with this one. Other than a longer dipstick to remove the oil, is there any other differences that i need to check to make sure it will work? Thanks!

Ayuh,... Is it a 6 cylinder,... I was thinkin' it's a 4, but can't really see...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like an inline 6 cylinder to me. Might want to have a look on the engine and drive and see if there are any serial numbers or tags to help date it and figure out what model it is.

SN.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral

engine looks to me like its a gm six cylinder, used with very good success by mercruiser for many years

the truck engine should work just fine, make sure the casting plugs are brass, and your external components are marine rated - starter, alt, dist, carb, fuel pump, etc...

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sweet. Im going to take pics of the additional motor along with getting the serial number for the one Im taking out.

How bad is this? Everything works and spins but it just looks rusty. Is this too far gone?

DSCN0302.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral

at the very least clean it all up and replace the u-joints

then reseal the drive, including the water pump and base assy