95 4.3LX Electric Fuel Pump - How often should it be running

wireready

Seaman Apprentice
From what I've read in the service manuals, the pump gets 12V when the engine is cranking, and then via a fuel cut off oil pressure switch when the engine is running. I have two questions. First, is the pump supposed to run continuously while the engine is running assuming there is oil pressure, as it appears it will be getting a constant 12V via the oil pressure cut off switch. And if so, then how does it avoid over-pressuring the fuel line or damaging itself if it pumps continuously when the carb's bowls aren't always asking for more fuel?

Second question, what is the part number for the oil pressure fuel pump cut off switch? I can't find the part number it in any of the parts diagrams- I bought a Sierra OP72533 but it has 3 spades, and the sensor switch on my engine only has 2 spade connectors. I've looked at some wiring diagrams but I can't find any detail on the fuel cut off to fuel pump and starter circuit to figure out how and when the pump should run and what controls it.

It's for a 1994, 95, or 96 4.3LX in my 96 Maxum boat. Engine sn# is 0F289151 part of my problem I think is I'm not exactly sure of the model year of the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 95 4.3LX Electric Fuel Pump - How often should it be running

First, is the pump supposed to run continuously while the engine is running assuming there is oil pressure,

Yes.

Second question, what is the part number for the oil pressure fuel pump cut off switch?

87-805024 is the Mercruiser number. Sierra doesn't have a cross to that number.

It's also a 95 model engine.