Battery's

anton_kot

Cadet
Hey i am in the process of changing my batterys, i have two big once and one small one for the generator. My mechanic is telling me to put one big one to power all the assesories, and a small one to start the boat. He tells me the big batterys are not so great to start boats. Can that be true?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery's

Get a new mechanic. You cannot have "too big" a battery (except when it doesn't fit in the location). You can only have a battery that is too small (as in too little capacity). He may have been thinking about "deep cycle" batteries but even a deep cycle is fine for starting duty (although others may argue that).

jhebert

Ensign

Hey i am in the process of changing my batterys...

The plural of "battery" is spelled "batteries."

I would invite your mechanic to participate in this discussion. It you are accurately quoting him, he will need to explain himself further.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get a new mechanic. You cannot have "too big" a battery (except when it doesn't fit in the location). You can only have a battery that is too small (as in too little capacity). He may have been thinking about "deep cycle" batteries but even a deep cycle is fine for starting duty (although others may argue that).

It's possible that the configuration of the boat is with a group 24 starting battery for the engine and a group 27 or 29 deep cycle for the house circuits. If that is the case your mechanic gave you the correct information. It is likely that the smaller group 24 battery is a battery designed for starting and has a much higher CCA (cold cranking amps) and MCA (Marine Cranking Ampls), rating than the larger deep cycle. If the larger battery is a deep cycle it will have a much higher RC (The amount of minutes a battery can be discharged to 10.5 volts by 25-amp discharge at 80?F).

We don't actually know what batterys you have but your mechanic probably took notice so I'd go with what he recommened.

anton_kot

Cadet

Yes he was referring to deep cycle batteries, Well I got two deep cycle (big batteries) and I got one small one for my generator. Sorry for my spelling, (I am Russian) Now hopefully the boat will start without problems when I flush all the liquids. Thank you.