Dashboard face material?

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a project boat for my kids and I to restore. The 10"x20" dashboard is riddled with holes from 40 years of gauges and lights. It was previously covered with a piece of sheet aluminum. 1  dash 2.jpg Im planning on having ONLY the steering wheel , light switch panel and horn button mounted on it when its complete.

I want to see if there is a better option than I already see:1 boat size.jpg

Re-fiberglass it to original. No maintenance req, Messy, labor intensive but cheap.

3/8" Teak dashboard. $40, strong, easy, maintenance required attractive but might not fit the rest of the boats look

3/8"" White Poly sheet. $20, strong, easy, no maintenance req plain but fits the boats LOOK.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Dashboard face material?

Hello Bigheaded and welcome to Iboats..

What about going back to that Alum face ? ( new cut alum piece )

You could even paint it white or something to match the rest of the boat.

YD.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

My preference would be a thin sheet of starboard. Like you say, relatively cheap, no maintenance, and easy to work. You making it yourself?

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought about a piece of diamond plate alum...but it really doesnt match the boat at all....

The Poly board seems to be the way. Its easy, cheep, matches and will also allow me to easily add items by drilling through it with a hole saw...

Thanks for your input

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I thought about a piece of diamond plate alum...but it really doesnt match the boat at all....

The Poly board seems to be the way. Its easy, cheep, matches and will also allow me to easily add items by drilling through it with a hole saw...

Thanks for your input

Who said anything about diamond plate alum :) ..

You could probably go into your local welder and get a scrap piece of 3/16" - 1/4" for next to nothing.

Shape and fit. Paint to match :D

Remember also that the Starboard your thinking of does not accept glue or any kind of stickers very well.

YD.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My preference would be a thin sheet of starboard. Like you say, relatively cheap, no maintenance, and easy to work. You making it yourself?

This would be my vote. Google "taco marine lumber".

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I solved my problem in deciding on a material. I went into a local sign shop and explained my situation and asked what materials they had. PVC board was the obvious solution. I got a 24" x 24" piece for $10 was able to cut it easy with a jig saw, sand the edges with a sander, and paint it with Krylon Fusion paint....
Dash (13).jpgDash (13a).jpgDash (17).jpgDash (18).jpgDash (21).jpg

i would have took the time to do it back to the way it was , the way i see it you did not fix any thing just make it look better , plus the pvc board needed to be fiberglassed on both sides to make it strong , after a while the items will pull in to the board make them be come loose . i just redid a console replacing the wood behind it and filling in the holes with glass

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with you, and if it wasnt just for cosmetic reasons, I would have gone the glass rout also. I did a lot of work before to the boat...and its a project with my kids to get it done and out on the water for the season. I set a budget of $500 for the completed boat and just hit the $600 mark lol So the PVC board was a no brainer. If the next owner want to FIX the dash that way, be my guest :)