water pump or impellar

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning everyone well here is another question you guys. I have a 1985 140 hp johnson that is finally on the water and running great thanks to so many of you guys helping me. Well here is another on for you. Had the Boat out on the lake for the first time ( out on the lake !!!!!!! so pumped) It was running great, peeing water,just perfect,i was told to change the impeller at least every 2 yrs. I was just wondering how you can tell if its the water pump or impeller. The reason im asking is just a few feet from the dock the alarm went off and stopped peeing. I was going to change the impeller after I knew it was worth fixing since it has not run in 2 to 3 yrs. Should I put a water pump in or would I be safe just putting the impeller on. Money is getting low and the wife is getting, well you know.

Re: water pump or impellar

Top o the morning to ya,

And i know i have replaced just the impellers before on mine but it all depends on the condition of the seals in the top of the housing, being they are seals they can wear out. Um, really if ya got the money, get the complete kit and keep the old housing as a backup, but if money is tight, like it is at my house (at least till my wife wants something :D ), then just try the impeller first. be careful with tthe key tho, if it falls in the lower unit it is a pain to get out .... been there, done that :facepalm:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump or impellar

Whether to replace just the impeller of the complete water pump depends on the condition of the components. The plate under the impeller and also the cup that the impeller rides in must be score free.... perfectly smooth. If scores or rough areas exist, that condition could (and usually does) kick up a air pocket and/or damage the impeller. Do a thorough inspection, then make your decision.

Note that any of the pump components can be purchased separately.

When assembling the pump, make sure that the impeller plate is sealed to the lower unit and also that that the impeller housing is sealed to the plate to avoid air pockets. Use the following sealer. NOTE: OMC Adhesive is now Bombardier 3M Product #847.