Upper drive gears broken

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMG_0597.jpgHad a great run 15 miles up Lake Tuscaloosa and back down 2 weeks ago. Haven't been posting but enjoying the 19 all winter. Love the lake in the winter, smooth! Easy to drain water from the 165 at the engine and manifold. Granddaughter came with her Pop and others, had 6 in my 73 A19. Heard a pop and thot maybe I hit something, then another, and was ticking at the landing and when loading. Thot it was maybe a ujoint coming apart, but they looked good. Took of the top of the drive and saw lots of metal shavings and teeth broken of the gears, not good. Friend parting out old Glasspar with 140 MC. Getting drive and stuff free for bring the hull to the dump for him. The drive is a different ratio I know and it didn't look new when I pulled the top off of it. But maybe it will last this summer. I will put in an impeller and fresh lube and see how it does. I considered a new SEI upper and may still get one later. Would like to put up a few pics of last trip but forgot how to do it, use Photobucket or is there an easier way now? Still appreciate this group.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Upper drive gears broken

glad ya found a way to stay on the water mj. bummer about yer gears.

so was she feeling pretty heavy with 6 on board? i've had up to 5 in mine.. she felt like a dog and had trouble getting on plane, but did.. for my rig, i've come to the conclusion that 2 people is perfect. 3 or 4 is ok. 5 i might consider doing for a short duration in non hazardous conditions, if i have to. i'm not doing 6... imho, just to much load for my boat..

as for the pic posting. i'm still using photobucket. works well enough. just copy the img. code and paste it into iboats forums...

hope ya have a great summer of fun...

Still appreciate this group
yep, me too... great bunch of folks...